Video Critique: Taylor HS Meet 3/3/07

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
hallvaulter
PV Pro
Expertise: College Coach
Favorite Vaulter: Randy Hall

Video Critique: Taylor HS Meet 3/3/07

Unread postby hallvaulter » Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:12 pm

http://media.putfile.com/Taylor-HS-Meet

Ok, so I ran from six lefts and jumped all day on a 15'6'' 185 16.0 flex.

My Progressions were as follow:
15'0''
O
15'6''
O
16'0''
XO
16'6''
XO

I crashed really bad on my first attempt at 16 by huffman rolling the bar and I came down on my neck, but I came back and jumped 16'6'' and then I decided I should just stop cause my neck hurt.

Now, tear it up.

Thanks,
Hunter
Coach Bob Phillips

AVC Coach
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Coach (All levels)
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Miah Sanders

Unread postby AVC Coach » Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:25 pm

Your landing on the Huffman roll needs some work, but your vaults looked great! Good job Hunter!

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:56 pm

It looks effortless... i cant wait to see what you do on a longer run. The only thing i could say is that your run looks like you lean forward a little when you run, but it might just be the way im seeing it. Awesome jumping man, that neck smash looked like it hurt though!! see you at nike.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

SweetPVJumps
PV Whiz

Unread postby SweetPVJumps » Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:21 am

dang, good thing your neck wasnt too messed up. i landed on mine a couple months ago, it was about 20 minutes before i could even try to get off the mat, then i had to wear a neck brace :eek: . so be careful with your neck and good luck with your season!

sooch90
PV Pro
Expertise: College Vaulter

Unread postby sooch90 » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:51 am

that sucks about landing on your neck, but did you purposely try to do a huffman roll? That was so awesome!

decanuck
PV Whiz

Unread postby decanuck » Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:16 am

I'll leave the complicated stuff to the experts, but I too noticed a forward lean in your approach. Also, your knees don't come very high when you run. Higher knees and forward hips will put you in a more powerful position at takeoff. Look at Bubka's videos on Stabhoch--his upper legs come almost parallel with the ground with each step up until the very last two, where he shortens his strides to block the takeoff, long-jump style.

jcoover
PV Pro
Favorite Vaulter: Nicholas Panozzo

Unread postby jcoover » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:01 am

yea... work the run. it will help a lot when you push it back to 8 or 9. Seemed to throw you a little off when u pushed the run back at that funky little HS Meet at IU a few weeks ago.
"We can, by God, let our demons loose and just wail on!" - John L Parker

Bruce Caldwell
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: It is all about Pole Vaulting. I even catch the competitors poles!
Lifetime Best: 15'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Kjell Issakson, Jan Johnson

good jumps

Unread postby Bruce Caldwell » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:27 am

HUNTER
You can go much higher when you get the pole underneath you. See how it is away from the bar. You have to travel so far to get directly over it.
in your 15'6" jump you pulled it in but you can get so much more height if you can get the pole speed to move faster. It is like pushing off at the boat dock you push but nothing is there to push you upward more.
The vault is a double pendulum one is you and you are doing things absolutely right the other is the pole? I am not sure it appears you are not penatrating enough yet you are getting serious blow on top but coming down so close to the bar on the back side. So that is not it. And one would think the pole is returning fast yet you are right with it.
I am not sure is your take off a little under?
If you got that out a bit this should all go away and you will have a blended pole swing and vaulter swing then some serious 17-7" bars will be yours to own. You are ready to really sky now it seems you need to just work on maybe the take off. try to move from point A the take off to be the bar faster and this works better with a correct take off point. I am not sure the angle does not yield enough info. but that would be my guess. Good luck keep us posted on how well you do!!! Say hi to Dad for me you are already jumping almost as high as he did in college grin!
Bruce

hallvaulter
PV Pro
Expertise: College Coach
Favorite Vaulter: Randy Hall

Unread postby hallvaulter » Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:22 pm

I feel like one of the main problems is that I'm struggling with finding the right balance between when to drive at take off and when to invert, for some odd reason I feel like I am just missing the right moment to get back. If i could just get my hips back a little further, I think I would get a lot more blow of the pole, and it would be in the right place like you are saying. Ill tell my dad you said hi. Thanks mr caldwell
Hunter
Coach Bob Phillips

jcoover
PV Pro
Favorite Vaulter: Nicholas Panozzo

Unread postby jcoover » Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:54 pm

more swing = more time = higher bend = more drive directly off the ground.
"We can, by God, let our demons loose and just wail on!" - John L Parker

Bruce Caldwell
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: It is all about Pole Vaulting. I even catch the competitors poles!
Lifetime Best: 15'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Kjell Issakson, Jan Johnson

HUnter

Unread postby Bruce Caldwell » Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:34 pm

hallvaulter wrote:I feel like one of the main problems is that I'm struggling with finding the right balance between when to drive at take off and when to invert, for some odd reason I feel like I am just missing the right moment to get back. If i could just get my hips back a little further, I think I would get a lot more blow of the pole, and it would be in the right place like you are saying. Ill tell my dad you said hi. Thanks mr caldwell
Hunter

You know when you run down a hill fast and you grab a tree limb what happens the hips go up but only in the direction you send them.
Try to take off relaxed but swing with the momentum. do not kick a soccer ball with your swing leg. Make sure you swing from the top hand not the hips, not the shoulders, not the bottom arm the piviot point is the top arm. lower the grip one inch to work on this make sure your hand spread is not too far a part. See how it increases the pole swing and you get on top of the pole!! you are there and it is time for you to get this down then increase the run a stride or two for more power and much higher jumps.
Bruce

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:03 am

"do not kick a soccer ball with your swing leg." Definitely not recommended when you are pole vaulting, the ball could go anywhere! ;)
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”