video of me and my jumper (hes better!)

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
vaulter870
PV Great
Expertise: Current Club Cocah, Current College Vaulter, PV Addict!
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

video of me and my jumper (hes better!)

Unread postby vaulter870 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:14 pm

here is a link to a video of me and logan (guy that i attempt to coach since he dosent have a real coach) and then a jump of me at the end. its pretty bad (my jump that is) feel free to make comments! i like to hear imput and it makes it easier to help him out too :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRiPb78eDMY
If you cant do it right , do if 10000 more times till you can

polevaulter08nw
PV Master
Expertise: College Vaulter, Coach
Lifetime Best: 5.40
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillinie

Unread postby polevaulter08nw » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:31 pm

the take off needs a little work i would say, just work on things, and the jump will come through.
PR: 5.40
Indiana University '13
University of North Carolina '12

vaulter870
PV Great

Unread postby vaulter870 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:35 pm

yeah i know that mine is pretty bad but also its kida good that i took off it is 5th time jumping (no practices only meets) sicne augest

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:41 am

You both look good. Logan has a high take off angle, but his drive knee is low, turning his jump into a bit of a double legged swing. His swing is strong, however it looks like his hips slow down before he is inverted. He manages to get inverted, but it looks more like hes just catching up with the speed of the pole rather than adding as much energy as he could by keeping the speed he is generating with his swing. This also may be due a tuck and shoot. But the 16'2 jump kept a lot more energy with the swing. Other than that, all i can say is keep the swing long and stay patient on top. It looks like on a majority of the jumps he isnt getting deep into the pit either. On the next softer pole i could see him blowing some bars up. Anyways, those are just my thoughts.

And Chris your vault looks pretty darn good for only the 5th time jumping! Keep it up, later.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

vaulter870
PV Great

Unread postby vaulter870 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:53 am

yeah he has had some of those same problems for a while now and we are working on it intermitantly. as for me i just need to get faster on the runway and takeoff taller and drive my chest more.

Tim McMichael
PV Master
Expertise: Current college and private coach. Former elite vaulter.

Unread postby Tim McMichael » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:18 am

Put him on a pole that bends more in the handle and he will PR a foot without changing anything. I'm serious. Look at some videos of Tye Harvey, and you will see what I mean. Pole design is one of the keys to his success. No one shortens the radius of his pole faster than Tye, and that is one of the reasons that he can jump so high without being incredibly fast. Your guy jumps a lot like him, and without that high bend things are going to be very difficult.

At this stage, I would NOT try to change him to any other model. He has an outstanding double leg vault that I would not mess with. It would take at least a year, and possibly more, to make any kind of switch. He already has an impressive jump. It is just completely mismatched with his pole design.

Also, I want to give you my answer to your question from the “different modelsâ€Â

mcminkz05
PV Great
Expertise: College Vaulter

Unread postby mcminkz05 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:03 am

Tim McMichael wrote:Put him on a pole that bends more in the handle and he will PR a foot without changing anything.

I understand what you are getting at I think, (I coach Logan as well) but what exactly do you mean by that ^ ? Are you suggesting a pole brand with a different design, or just a different length in pole? In the PR clips, he is jumping on a 15'9 gripping 15'6. I don't think his attempts at 16'7 are in that video mix, but he was jumping on a 16' pole gripping 15'8.
What have you done today to get better?

Barto
PV Great
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby Barto » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:37 am

He is over gripping. Drop his grip 6" and he will jump 1' higher.

Tim's comment about the high bend hurting him is correct, but the pole looks much worse than it is because of how high he is gripping.

Find this guy a 15' skypole (or any other 15' pole for that matter) and he will be money.

vaulter870
PV Great

Unread postby vaulter870 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:57 pm

tried that and he problem is that he jumps typicaly with a lowerd grip on that pole and it wasnt doing anything for him

Barto
PV Great
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby Barto » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:43 pm

vaulter870 wrote:tried that and he problem is that he jumps typicaly with a lowerd grip on that pole and it wasnt doing anything for him

That's the point, make him jump on a stiff 15' pole with his standards on 80cm and learn to pole vault instead of bend it and hang on.

Tim McMichael
PV Master
Expertise: Current college and private coach. Former elite vaulter.

Unread postby Tim McMichael » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:57 pm

What I see is that the pole is doing the opposite of what it should. It is bending almost entirely in the bottom half. This just won't work. If you are willing to arrange the freight, I can send you a pole that is built right to try out. You might want to talk to Bruce Caldwell also. He thinks along the same lines about poles as I do. So does Earl Bell. It will help tremendously.

vaulter870
PV Great

Unread postby vaulter870 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:20 pm

what kind of pole cause i am willing to pay the fraight. also those are some of bruces poles that he is jumping on. i know that he talked to bruce and bruce has also seen this video. but i am interested in this pole you are talking about cause anything that can help him to go 17' right now is what he needs!

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”