Video Review

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
euroeva
PV Fan

Video Review

Unread postby euroeva » Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:13 pm

Hi,
I would appreciate it if someone could review my jumping from my last meet. Starting height was 7ft. I think i need help on how to get my trail leg to stay straight during swing, and how to continue swinging. At 8.5 ft on my last jump i switched poles. but that isn't on the video. I used a 11.5 ft 110 catapole and changed it to a 12 ft 115 mystick. any help is appreciated.

I am the girl w/ the yellow top and red briefs. The rest of the video is of girls that jum around 10 ft.

thanks.---standards were kept at 20, i ran from 6 lefts at 65.5 ft

http://s143.photobucket.com/albums/r146 ... ovie-1.flv

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:30 pm

I see Chelo in that video!

My advice is to try to get out to Vertical Assault :)

I am betting your jump on the Mystic didn't go very well. That's a big jump in poles. I would wait to move up poles until you are hitting the bar on the way up with the standards all the way back instead of at 20.

jcoover
PV Pro
Favorite Vaulter: Nicholas Panozzo

Unread postby jcoover » Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:58 pm

Hey,

the first thing i notice with your video is that for a girl jumping around 9 feet, your takeoff is not too bad. this does not mean, however, that it shouldn't be your first priority. the first thing is that you seem to slow down the last two steps of your run. on these two steps, you should really be thinking about pushing forward and setting up to explode off the ground at maximum speed. next, you need to jump off the ground more. really try to jump over your top hand as if you were doing a ground drill trying to jump OVER your top hand. your pole carry on your run is good and you seem to drop the pole well so thats a good thing. on your takeoff, try to really push your hands up and drive the knee harder, creating a bigger split which will enable you to really rip the trail leg through. you need to finish your swing before you start to extend and turn, so make sure not to cut that off. always finish the swing. one way to work on this is to put a bungee up high. maybe 10 or 11 feet, a point at which you cant quite touch the bungee or only can on very good jumps. bring the standards forward on these practice jumps, it will help you with rotating around the shoulders instead of the hips and getting the hips up with your top hand. you should really try to find your top hand up in the air and try to bring your hips to your top hand as best you can. if you look at good vaulters, just before the turn their top hand will be right in their hips straight in between their legs. hopefully this helps you out. keep posting videos and i hope you improve!

Coov
"We can, by God, let our demons loose and just wail on!" - John L Parker

euroeva
PV Fan

Unread postby euroeva » Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:46 pm

thanks for the advice. right now i can't do any actual jumping b/c during indoor we only do strength etc, but I'll def work on it once we can go out. Thanks again.

VTechVaulter
PV Lover
Expertise: Current Elite Vaulter, College Volunteer Coach, HUGE FAN

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:29 pm

was that at Lehigh!?!? i have jumped there long long ago. haha.

as becca said. go to this website, talk to mike lawryk and you will be excited with what comes. plus itll give you a chance to jump a little at a great place

www.verticalassault.org
Brian Mondschein
Philadelphia Jumps Club, Coach and Co-Founder
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

euroeva
PV Fan

Unread postby euroeva » Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:34 pm

i live in philly, its way too far from me and way to expensive. It would take me 1.5 -2 hrs to get there. Maybe if there's a carpool or something liek that. The coach from vertical assault was at the meet.

Vault Chick
PV Pro
Expertise: College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 10'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Tye Harvey

Advice

Unread postby Vault Chick » Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:33 am

jcoover wrote:
on your takeoff, try to really push your hands up and drive the knee harder, creating a bigger split which will enable you to really rip the trail leg through. you need to finish your swing before you start to extend and turn, so make sure not to cut that off. always finish the swing. one way to work on this is to put a bungee up high. maybe 10 or 11 feet, a point at which you cant quite touch the bungee or only can on very good jumps.
Coov

I agree with everything jcoover says, and I wanted to make a few points of my own. Yeah, I noticed that you aren't totally getting back all the way. I think what you are doing is doing everything you can just to clear the crossbar, but your not rocking back completely. My advice is to let your shoulders drop back, allowing you to rock back completely, and shooting your hips "up" and not "out" towards the crossbar. According to the video, you tend to be parallel to the ground, therefore you are shooting out. Try to get totally vertical with the pole, and then do your turn over the crossbar. I think your just trying to clear the crossbar to early, and letting your legs drop out. One other thing, which is something jcoover pointed out, was about your arms at takeoff. You want to be as tall as possible at takeoff, so when you plant, try planting with your arms up rather than out in front of you. By the way, I really liked how your bottom arm wasn't totally braced out, but wasn't totally caved in as well. That's pretty good, and it causes you to not block out, which is something I need to work on! lol Hope all of this helps, and good luck to ya!
PR: 10'8" (so far!)
Chico State Track + Field!

sooch90
PV Pro
Expertise: College Vaulter

Unread postby sooch90 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:27 pm

hey it's Lehigh! I jumped there a couple weeks ago haha

Do you jump at vertical assault? Do you follow their set schedule?

Well you could also try HiP Athletics, I think it's about a 45 minuteish drive if you live in philadelphia

souleman
PV Lover
Lifetime Best: 12-7.5
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren, Bob Richards

Unread postby souleman » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:26 pm

Nobody has said it yet so I will, PLEASE!...quit landing on your feet. That's the easiest way to turn or break an ankle. Remember, you can't jump if you can't run. Until you get the basics that the others have talked about on this thread down better. concentrate on putting your body in a position where you land on your butt EVERY TIME looking straight back down the runway from whence you came. You can't do what I'm asking you to do any other way but by going over the bar with your stomach facing down. With all the things on your plate for improving your performance, put my suggestion towards the top of the list (for now). Later..........Mike

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”