Speed or Strength?

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover
Expertise: former college vaulter, Current college coach
Lifetime Best: 5.26
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:32 pm

here is a link to what tim was talking about. http://www.aip.org/pt/vol-56/iss-1/p15.html
On a whole new level 6-20-09

jumpbackin
PV Whiz

Unread postby jumpbackin » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:44 pm

Tim McMichael wrote:As far as this causing the pole to mush, the answer to that is simple - Get some heavier lumber. Grab a pole that won't mush and raise your grip. :)

Easier said than done... for a lot of us, anyway.

Tim McMichael
PV Master
Expertise: Current college and private coach. Former elite vaulter.

Unread postby Tim McMichael » Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:31 pm

I think that getting on a bigger pole depends a lot on whether you feel you are jumping onto the back of a wild bull or a tame racehorse.

vaulter870
PV Great
Expertise: Current Club Cocah, Current College Vaulter, PV Addict!
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Unread postby vaulter870 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:49 pm

well said. bigger pole can either be tame hourse or wild bronco. depends on technique and speed and what not but its very true.
If you cant do it right , do if 10000 more times till you can

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover
Expertise: former college vaulter, Current college coach
Lifetime Best: 5.26
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:36 pm

stiffer pole with the right grip is the name of the game...
On a whole new level 6-20-09

nitro
PV Master

Unread postby nitro » Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:04 pm

vaulter870 wrote:well said. bigger pole can either be tame hourse or wild bronco. depends on technique and speed and what not but its very true.

just gotta learn to tame that bronco
pain is only temporary victory is forever

vaulter870
PV Great
Expertise: Current Club Cocah, Current College Vaulter, PV Addict!
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Unread postby vaulter870 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:31 pm

heck yeah and untill you do the pole will be the boss of you. you need tyo be the boss of the pole and make it work for you not vice versa
If you cant do it right , do if 10000 more times till you can

euroeva
PV Fan

Unread postby euroeva » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:47 pm

im not going to write a lot, but i think both are necessary. i think technique is very important and i think for you to get better at it you need strangth. you can run as fast as you want, but if you cant lift your legs above your head, you're not gonna go a lot higher, or improve much. once you get the technique down you can use the speed as an aid.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:30 am

So there you have it PVStudent, carolina21, Baggett and Tim - ignorance is bliss and the folk who are disagreeing with you dont know enough to know how little they know. But just remember that the majority of this planet's population still think the sun revolves around the earth. ;)
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

SlickVT
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post-Collegiate Vaulter, College Coach, High School Coach

Unread postby SlickVT » Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:12 am

People aren't born with a vast knowlege of pole vault. That is the purpose of the discussion board. Degredation is not the name of the game.
Vertical Technique Pole Vault Club
Blacksburg, Virginia
verticaltechnique.com

jumpbackin
PV Whiz

Unread postby jumpbackin » Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:06 pm

altius wrote:So there you have it PVStudent, carolina21, Baggett and Tim - ignorance is bliss and the folk who are disagreeing with you dont know enough to know how little they know. But just remember that the majority of this planet's population still think the sun revolves around the earth. ;)

Altius,

In most cases you add a great value to this board. I appreciate your presence. In this case however, just telling me (and maybe some others) that I'm stupid is not constructive. I've stated my case. If there is something I'm missing or a flaw in my logic, point it out. Don't just be pompous.

The bottom line for my argument is that your speed provides the potential for your vault. Your technique actualizes the potential and your strength helps you execute the technique.

Tim McMichael
PV Master
Expertise: Current college and private coach. Former elite vaulter.

Unread postby Tim McMichael » Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:21 pm

I got this coaching technique from a snake-handler I saw on T.V. He had been bitten something like fifty times, and the reporter asked him if it made him angry at the snakes. He said: “No, I’m supposed to be the expert here. The snake is doing the best it can with the only tool at its disposal, which is instinct. I’m the one with the capacity for abstract reasoning. If I get bitten, it’s my own fault.â€Â
Last edited by Tim McMichael on Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”