"Coaches Mark" "MID" Big Pole

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:18 am

ps

i consider 6 and 7 lefts short runs..

dj
Come out of the back... Get your feet down... Plant big

VTechVaulter
PV Lover
Expertise: Current Elite Vaulter, College Volunteer Coach, HUGE FAN

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:53 am

i guess i kinda see what your saying. i think i am capable of holding high. my freshman year i held 15'10 before my pole break turned me into a loon about grip. I certainly would like to thin im capable of the jumps on your chart that line up with the mid, i guess we will see how this season goes. if youd like to see my approach

www.vtpolevault.com

under current vaulters, me, media, any of my jumps on there are examples of my approach (the poles in hand are all 5.10m poles)

lemme know what you think, im curious

take care

oh and PS.. haha. GT was the worst meet of my year last year. i hate that place
Brian Mondschein
Philadelphia Jumps Club, Coach and Co-Founder
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

dj
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby dj » Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:08 pm

kool vtech

thanks for working with me...

i'll probaly see you this spring or indoors in florida?

i don't want to put a "kink" in anyone's wheel that will slow their progress.. and nothing should be done without fitting it in with you and your coach..

later

dj

AVC Coach
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Coach (All levels)
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Miah Sanders

Unread postby AVC Coach » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:39 pm

dj,

If you're going to be in Reno, I would like to discuss your run formula with you out of curiousity.

Carolina21
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former Elite Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.59

Unread postby Carolina21 » Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:44 am

Jomrus,
What size pole/hand grip were you on at 2004 indoor NCAA's at arkansas?
-Rise to the occasion
PR: 18' 4.0

jomrus
PV Whiz

Unread postby jomrus » Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:02 am

4.90 Stick/ 15'6'' grip/ 14.0 flex/ 205 lbs. But that was two years ago.
JR+MS=JR&MR

FreightTrain
PV Fan
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, occasional open competitor
Lifetime Best: 4.90 m

"Coaches Mark" "Mid-Mark"

Unread postby FreightTrain » Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:00 pm

Dj,

What do you mean by "take-off mark"? Do you mean the tip of the toe of your shoe? Or do you mean the middle of the ball of your foot? And on the "take-of grip", do you mean the top of the grip (the highest point of the fist)?

Also, your chart suggests that stride length determines speed. Has that been collaborated by sprint studies and other speed sport analysis (you hint at it for some of the other jump events)?

Thanks for the tool, I'm definitely going to experiment with it.

BigStick Club
PV Nerd

Unread postby BigStick Club » Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:24 pm

Hey... just have a real quick question. On the chart, is stride defined as (LRL) or (RLR) or LR/ RL? Otherwise, thanks for showing.

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:38 pm

BigStick Club wrote:Hey... just have a real quick question. On the chart, is stride defined as (LRL) or (RLR) or LR/ RL? Otherwise, thanks for showing.

A stride is a single step on the chart, right or left, with the exception of the penultimate stride (which is a right for right handed vaulters or a left for lefties) and the takeoff stride (left for righties, right for lefties). From the 6 Stride/Mid/Coach's Mark, you will have 6 steps or strides from that mark in, 3 rights and 3 lefts.
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN
Lifetime Best: 5.51
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby Bubba PV » Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:15 pm

Recently the question was asked about 4 vs. 6 stride marks. I found that explanation as I went back and read all posts on this subject from the very first one. Interesting evolution with lots of great explanations. Bubba
Bubba Sparks - www.bubbapv.com

Support Becca & Pole Vault Power

dj
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby dj » Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:31 pm

m: Decamouse
To: dj
Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:55 am
Subject: what about stride freq

I find it hard to believe that stride freq. and stride length are not what dictates speed - so you can in fact have variance in one - i.e short stride length but higer Freq to achieve the same speed - either that or the IAAF, USATF and many others have published a lot of stuff that is out to lunch.

hey

stride length and stride frequency is how we measure "speed" but is not how we create "speed"....speed is create by the forces applied to the running surface….. in the right direction of course..

and frequency does play a major roll in creating speed but not in the actual way we have looked at it in the past.. the “speedâ€Â

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN
Lifetime Best: 5.51
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby Bubba PV » Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:47 pm

A sprint coach that DJ and I know very well shared a study of Olympic gold winners, and since they all took almost the same number of steps, the difference was ground contact time. This goes back to DJ's example of a golf ball. If you drop it the bounce won't be as high as if you throw it.

The most deceiving "hidden speed" I have ever seen was AC (Anthony Curran - UCLA - 5.70m). He did not look like he was running fast at all and appeared to have these little bitty steps. Every step he took was so quick and powerful that he could load some pretty monstrous poles. Off the subject but he's "by far" the master of the line up on top of the jump. I've got a video of him at one of our vault meets at UC Irvine where he yells (heard on tape), "that's it" right as he started his swing and then BOOMED 5.52m.

Sorry - I digress. Have a great holiday!! Bubba
Bubba Sparks - www.bubbapv.com

Support Becca & Pole Vault Power

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”