Russian and french

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
soulfly1112
PV Newbie

Russian and french

Unread postby soulfly1112 » Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:40 pm

Is Russian model more sufficient than the French model because it encourages fewer variables during the vault, is easier to teach and understand?

I believe that the French model is effective and results show that however
I think that it has to may variables in it and that is why there are not a whole heap of top line French vaulters right now

what do you guys think

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:44 pm

Can you tell us more about the differences between the two models? I don't think too many of us are familiar with the French model.

soulfly1112
PV Newbie

Unread postby soulfly1112 » Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:15 pm

the main notable differences in the French model are

1. wider hand grip

2 front plant hand drops to level of the hips

3 during the rock back the vaulter crunches up in to a ball rather than swinging long.

I think that the French model is effective but there are to many variables in their vault.

EG. if you look at most French vaulters during their plant you will see their top hand drop. so it is level with their hips making the pole horizontal to the ground. this could cause many things to happen to the vaulter.

they could lean back to resist against the pole

they could be pulled forward by the weight of the pole

they might not be able to finish the plant due to the amount of movement that has to occur (getting the pole from hip level to above their head)

they are un able to run at their maximum speed

these are all variables the could occur during the plant of a French vaulter

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:20 pm

The reason the French do not have superstar vaulters at present is that the GREAT coaches who produced their best have retired -namely Maurice Houvion and Dr. Jean Claude Perrin. In addition Philippe Collet has just stopped coaching leaving a 5.75 vaulter with no coach. The French appeared to have a completely different technical model for reaons i never worked out - perhaps the same jingoistic, xenophobic foces which have prevented some US coaches taking up the Petrov model operated there????.

Interestingly the athlete alluded to above is trying to move to the Petrov/Pubka model bcausehe believes that it is clearly more efficient than the French model -even though Galfione jumped 6.00m and won an Olympic gold in Atlanta and Quinon won in LA. The essential problem was that they used a very wide grip and this prevented them from optimising the pole ground angle - see photo of Quinon and comments -page 158 BTB. ;)

However the key point is the importance of enthusiastic, knowledgeable and committed coaches working in a supportive environment. In the end that is the secret to great pole vault peformances. :)
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

yasso_polevoult
PV Beginner

Unread postby yasso_polevoult » Sat Dec 24, 2005 4:51 pm

haay do u hv site for the french model to compare between the russian&the french

baggettpv
PV Master

The beginning of the models...

Unread postby baggettpv » Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:38 am

The models were developed early in (50's and early 60's) Europe with the Frnech and the Eastern block contries deriving similar but different goals or models. Andjei told me this in 86. Ptrov was a student af Andjei's while the Eastern model was being formed then Petrov had the opportunity to work with this amazing athlete that one day caught everyones attention. So it then became the Russian model....
We Americans were so independant we never developed a model of our own, just kept everything a secret so no one could get an edge on us. I think my high school coach (RIP) was closer to the correct model than my college coach was. He looked at the take off and said "Probably need to work on the Long Jump to get better there...." (1969)
Anyway, just alittle history.

Rick Baggett

Mecham
PV Lover

Unread postby Mecham » Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:17 am

The 6.40 model is superior. Read it.
Just you wait...

baggettpv
PV Master

6.40 model

Unread postby baggettpv » Sun Jan 01, 2006 2:00 am

i read the article when the original came to the US in 1986. Discussed it with Andjei thru my graduate school years 89-90 at UO. Witnessed his implementation of it thru the training of Athletics West vauters based in Eugene during that time.
One time while sitting with him during a full vaulting practice I saw Kory Tarpenning making one minor mistake in the vault. I quietly asked Andjei if he was gonna correct it during the session. He said "No, I will correct it in training..." Interesting point!
Remember, whatever model you use, the body must be trained to be able to perform the athletic skills necessary to implement the model. Spend 60% of your time training for the model, 30% of the time learning the model and 10% of the time getting mentally prepared to perform the model. Not my words, Andjei's.

Rick Baggett
WSTC

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”