Help, i can't get vertical when moving up a pole.

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
spencershade
PV Beginner
Expertise: High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Help, i can't get vertical when moving up a pole.

Unread postby spencershade » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:15 pm

I have recently been doing some form jumping on a smaller pole from a short approach because I am trying to get more vertical. I now want to put the form that I have into a stiffer and taller pole (only by 6inches) but I can't seem to jump well at all when I'm on this pole. If someone could watch the 2 videos and try and figure out what I'm doing wrong on the bigger pole that would be awesome. It feels like when I jump on the Bigger pole I get stuck and have no option but to shoot out over the bar. I'll provide the links to the videos:
Ps. I would like constructive criticism on both videos

Better form, small pole: https://youtu.be/xQa8sgCPUNs

Big pole bad form: https://youtu.be/JLveAtz0JSQ
Last edited by spencershade on Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GasPasser
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former HS vaulter - now 55-59YO Masters vaulter, and part-time coach
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Re: Help, i can't get vertical when moving up a pole.

Unread postby GasPasser » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:53 pm

Please give us more to go on. For each of these videos, what is the pole length and weight rating, what is your grip, and how many Lefts is each run.

Just a quick observation, you appear "under" in your second video - so your hips get sucked forward on TO and you are not able to get a good swing and never reach full inversion - therefore you flag out when the pole unbends.

spencershade
PV Beginner
Expertise: High School Vaulter

Unread postby spencershade » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:58 pm

sorry about that I'm my bigger pole is a 14' 165. I am 155. Check out this video I've been working on swing quicker and getting inverted on my bigger pole and it's getting better

https://youtu.be/6qpZm9vQnHc

If you or anyone could help me understand how to come off of the pole one handed with my hips "piked" that would be great. I also seem to have my bottom arm still on the pole at the top of the vault and I don't know how to fix.

monteo
PV Wannabe
Expertise: High School, Club, College Coach
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby monteo » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:57 pm

OK I'll give this a stab.

First, this should probably be on the video analysis board.

Next, the video you posted does not show your run-up. Even though your question is related to the top of the vault, these problems are commonly caused earlier in the vault

From what I can see, it looks like your plant is slightly late, which results in you not pushing the pole up as much as you can. Sand drills can fix both of these issues. The check for the plant is the top hand being even with your hairline on your penultimate step. Then later, as you cover the pole, it does not look like you are dropping your shoulders while pushing your hips up. As stated in B2B, this is similar to the feel you get when trying to get maximum height on a swingset. In any case, your hands should get to your shins/legs, and then stay right next to them, it looks like it never really got there, and then got progressively further away. This motion is also sometimes likened to pulling up your pants. Hope this helps

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:33 pm

monteo wrote: ... this should probably be on the video analysis board.

Certainly not in the Advanced Technique forum! Not with a PR of 12-6!

As GasPasser and Monteo say, we need to see a vid of your full run to find the root cause of your extension issues.

Dropping your head back isn't the same as dropping your shoulders. In fact, it could be that dropping your head back is causing your back to arch, when what you really want to do is have the opposite curve in your back, to raise your hips.

But more importantly, it all starts with your run, plant, and takeoff.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”