Renaud Lavillenie Technique 2015

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
PVstudent
PV Pro

Re: Renaud Lavillenie Technique 2015

Unread postby PVstudent » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:46 am

Renaud Lavillenie's 6.02m clearance ISTAF Berlin Discussion Video 3.

https://youtu.be/iPf2J9JXGjk

This successful vault might be considered an exemplar of the technique Renaud Lavillenie aspired to replicate throughout the 2015 season. This is merely my opinion having reviewed video recordings sampled throughout the indoor and outdoor seasons.

The plant still gives rise to shoulder axis and trunk inclining to his left side which cause some corrective responses to be made following loss of ground contact in the take-off.

In this vault I do not consider Renaud employed a pole recoil and "shoot" inversion technique into the flight trajectory.

I venture the proposition that Renaud more closely approximates the "spiral turn technique" (espoused by Petrov -Bubka Technicians) by keeping his body in close alignment to the longitudinal axis of the recoiling pole until the pole becomes straight.

This adaptation, I suggest, gives rise to his excellent vertical speed into the flight trajectory with a high peak height above bar clearance.

This vault is neither "Free Take-Off" nor a Classical "Tuck and Shoot" type of vault.

It appears to me to contain elements from a mechanics perspective that resemble a hybrid mixture, of PB and "Split leg tuck" inversion techniques.
Every new opinion at its starting, is precisely a minority of one!

PVstudent
PV Pro

Unread postby PVstudent » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:38 am

Some slow motion footage from a training session posted on Nov 11th 2015 which I have further slowed down and from which I have extracted a series of still images depicting some important features of the 1st phase of pole support.

https://youtu.be/dy0EQ_dwfuI

I interpret this brief video as reinforcing the suggestion that Renaud is attempting to modify and refine his technique to:

1. Face directly forwards with his torso and abdominal - pelvic body segments at take-off and also maintain this alignment until maximum moment of inertia about the top grip axis occurs.

2. Reduce the shoulder transverse axis angle of tilting below horizontal downwards on his left side.

3. Increase transfer of momentum from the lead leg to the upward direction at take-off and to increase the amplitude of lead and trail leg separation at and immediately following take-off.

4. Execute a trail leg swing (with greater total leg length from the hip axis) faster through a larger swing amplitude before flexing at the left hip immediately upon reaching the postural configuration giving rise to the maximum moment of inertia about the top grip axis.

5. Increase the angular displacement of the pole chord in the direction towards the plane of the crossbar before the trail leg flexes at the hip.

6. Use the lower grip total arm (which straightens out) to provide a continuously acting, but varying in magnitude tensile force acting against the motion direction of the flexing pole. Due to vaulter's centre of mass (COM) in suspension below both grip pivots the tensile force (tensile pulling force) varies in concordance with the magnitude of the vaulter generated swing centripetal force and net total system torque about the pole tip axis in the planting box.
Every new opinion at its starting, is precisely a minority of one!

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:24 am

PVstudent wrote: Some slow motion footage from a training session posted on Nov 11th 2015 which I have further slowed down and from which I have extracted a series of still images depicting some important features of the 1st phase of pole support.

https://youtu.be/dy0EQ_dwfuI

I interpret this brief video as reinforcing the suggestion that Renaud is attempting to modify and refine his technique to:

Thanks for another good post. May I remind you that you've forgotten to provide frame #s of the vault parts you're referring to.

What's good for the goose should be good for the gander. :D

PVStudent, I marvel at your mastery of the English language, but to be honest, I sometimes get lost in your vernacular. And if I"m lost, I'm sure other readers are lost too.

Let's break this down, one point at a time ...

PVstudent wrote: 1. Face directly forwards with his torso and abdominal - pelvic body segments at take-off and also maintain this alignment until maximum moment of inertia about the top grip axis occurs.

google wrote:mo·ment of in·er·tia
a quantity expressing a body's tendency to resist angular acceleration.

google wrote:axis
1. the line about which a rotating body, such as the earth, turns.

OK. You say he stays square at takeoff, and until when? What do you mean by "moment of inertia about the top grip axis"? :confused:

Are you just saying that this moment of inertia is measured at the top hand?

Or are you saying that he stays square to the pit right up until the time when the pole hits the box?

google wrote:ful·crum
the point on which a lever rests or is supported and on which it pivots.

Or are you saying that he stays square to the pit until his top arm is no longer rotating around his top hand fulcrum?

Sorry for my ignorance - you can see that I'm quite confused. :confused:

PVstudent wrote: 2. Reduce the shoulder transverse axis angle of tilting below horizontal downwards on his left side.

OK. You say he strives to keep his left shoulder from dropping?

PVstudent wrote: 3. Increase transfer of momentum from the lead leg to the upward direction at take-off and to increase the amplitude of lead and trail leg separation at and immediately following take-off.

OK. You say he drives the lead leg up, so that he stretches his drive leg up and his trail leg back, to get an optimal "elastic stretch"?

PVstudent wrote: 4. Execute a trail leg swing (with greater total leg length from the hip axis) faster through a larger swing amplitude before flexing at the left hip immediately upon reaching the postural configuration giving rise to the maximum moment of inertia about the top grip axis.

OK. You say he fully stretches his trail leg, and swings it as fast and as long as he can. Then, when he swings (to the "postural configuration" - but where is that?) so that his momentum (inertia) is maximized? This inertia is measured at the top grip? :confused:

PVstudent wrote: 5. Increase the angular displacement of the pole chord in the direction towards the plane of the crossbar before his trail leg flexes at the hip.

OK. You say he lets the pole roll forwards, toward the pit, before flexing his trail leg at the hip?

PVstudent wrote: 6. Use the lower grip total arm (which straightens out) to provide a continuously acting, but varying in magnitude tensile force acting against the motion direction of the flexing pole. Due to vaulter's centre of mass (COM) in suspension below both grip pivots the tensile force (tensile pulling force) varies in concordance with the magnitude of the vaulter generated swing centripetal force and net total system torque about the pole tip axis in the planting box.

OK. I think you said (in a prior post) that his bottom arm follows the flex of his pole, without any pushing or pulling - just hanging on?

And you say that (in combination with the top arm), the bottom arm is continuously "acting". But how can that be? How can he be just hanging on, yet applying some sort of force on the pole? :confused:

You say the force applied by his bottom arm will vary in direction as his CoM changes - from at first being aligned close to the top arm extended through his torso, to later being aligned closer to his bottom arm near his torso?

You say this tensile force (tension between the bottom hand of him and his CoM, and tension between his top hand and his CoM) varies, as the two-pendulum (pole rolling forwards, and him swinging forwards and up) vaulter-pole system motion proceeds? :confused:

PVStudent, I'm not so sure I've paraphrased any of your points correctly. In fact, I may not even be close! Please clarify or verify.

Once you clarify/verify the above, then my next question is: "What benefits do these particular actions give the WR holder in allowing him to clear 6.02?"

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

willrieffer
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 15'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: All of them...

Unread postby willrieffer » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:44 pm

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”