Why not use a 25 foot pole?

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
DanCraig
PV Newbie

Why not use a 25 foot pole?

Unread postby DanCraig » Mon Mar 17, 2003 2:51 am

I don't get it--seems to me that the longer pole you use--the higher up you will go. You just have to hang on for dear life and let go at the right time. For instance, if you want to set a WR of 22 feet, then use, say, a 25 foot pole. That should get you over. You could work up to jumping over a 100 feet this way. I don't see what the big deal is--but I have never vaulted so maybe I am missing something. But it seems simple enough to me. Bigger pole=higher heights. I hope this helps someone, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to firure it out.

vaultguru6
PV Pro

Unread postby vaultguru6 » Mon Mar 17, 2003 4:40 am

wow....never thought of that..............
Last edited by vaultguru6 on Mon Mar 17, 2003 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Decamouse
PV Great
Expertise: Masters vaulter, coach, USATF Official
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Kate Dennison

Unread postby Decamouse » Mon Mar 17, 2003 8:57 am

It is not rocket science - but how fast you run and how well you transfer the energy dictates how high you can hold - if you held a 20' pole of appropriate stiffness - I would be surprised if you could get to 60 degress - getting vertical - or 90 to ground - yeah - maybe when we get a guy that is 6'9" and can run 10.2 - that is the pure physics of it -
Plant like crap sometimes ok most times

crash
PV Beginner

Re: Pole Vaulting quetion

Unread postby crash » Mon Mar 17, 2003 12:54 pm

DanCraig wrote:I don't see what the big deal is--but I have never vaulted so maybe I am missing something. .

yeah, your missing something!

xtremevaulter

Its all Physics

Unread postby xtremevaulter » Mon Mar 17, 2003 3:40 pm

It all has to do with Physics. I think it would be impossible for someone to use a 25 ft. Pole They could not get enough speed to even start getting upside down.

Oldcoach
PV Nerd

Unread postby Oldcoach » Fri Mar 21, 2003 9:22 pm

Don't think about the method (long pole, short pole, big spring whatever)
it is strickly about energy conversion not the path or method to convert the energy.
A simple model 100% energy conversion

Change in Kinetic energy = Change in gravitational potential energy

1/2 M Vsquared = Mgh

or h (the change in vertical height)= 1/2 Vsquared /g

so for a guy that runs 10m/sec

h= 1/2 (100)/9.8 ( g is the acceleration due to gravity -9.8 m/sec/sec)

h = 5.10 meters-- this is the change in the vaulters CG

so if the vaulter 's cg is 1.1 m above the ground at take off

then the height the vaulters body can be raised is 5.10 +1.1= 6.20 meters above the ground. The World record is 6.15 meters.

Sorry for the garbled looking equations

Decamouse
    PV Great

Unread postby Decamouse » Sat Mar 22, 2003 8:22 am

wow OldCoach - great answer -eng wise as well - the 6.20 theory max does need one last thing added - the push off energy - if and when it is timed up - the pole is back to a relatively straight column you can probably generate a few cm more of potential - not me yet - getting of the pole early gets you zilch - give me a call sometime

Oldcoach
    PV Nerd

Unread postby Oldcoach » Sat Mar 22, 2003 5:07 pm

Decamouse,

You are correct that additional energy may be avaible in the pushoff potentially raising the height achieved. My simple model is what differentiates engineers from academics and scientists--- engineers are so lazy they only develope a theory that adequately satisfies the task at hand.
    I'll give you a call sometime soon
    Bob Johnson

skola28
    PV Beginner

Unread postby skola28 » Mon Apr 21, 2003 11:34 am

Your explaination of the maximum polevault height doesn't really work here, but it definately shows the ignorance of the "longer pole=higher vaults" mentality. There are a 'few' more energies besides the run (one of the kinetic), and change in height (one of the potential). As stated the push off height increases the total height, but the vaulter swinging actually creates Rotational Kinetic energy. You also have to add in the impulse energy from the vaulter's 'jumping' off from the ground. I realize this was already stated, but this is assuming 100% conversion of all these energies into linear vertical kinetic energy (Upward speed). So none of this really takes into account the work done by the pole. The 'engineering' formula that should be used is this:

KE1 + PE1 + WORK DONE BY THE SYSTEM= KE2 + PE2
    and we set KE2 to be 0 b/c we want the maximum height.

For KE (TOTAL KINETIC ENERGY):
    1/2 MASS*Velocity^2 + 1/2 * I * Omega^2
    where I is the Rotational Moment of Inertia of the vaulter which is
    1/12 MASS * height of vaulters shoulders (sort of)

PE (TOTAL POTENTIAL ENERGY):
    MASS*Gravitational Acceleration*Change in height+ 1/2 K(s1-s2)
    where K is the 'poles' stiffness (relative to the flex number)

And I'm not even going to get started on how to figure out the total work done b/c there are many different parts which do work, and therefore many integrals which need to be solved. This is the actual engineering equation which would be used, the one which was mentioned earlier is simply the specific equation which satisfies most people but hardly an engineer! (Trust me, I know!)

If you REALLY wanted to get technical you'd have to deal with aerodynamics too! Anyway, I hope to one day figure out the real maximum height of the jump based on 3 variables:
    Ground Speed, Push off Force(Impulse), Jumping force(Impulse). Where K (pole stiffness) is modified until the jump goes completely vertical. But that sounds like a lot of work. (Excuse the pun)

J. R. Skola
    --------------------------------------------------
    Time flies like an arrow;
    Fruit flies like bannanas...

Decamouse
    PV Great

Unread postby Decamouse » Mon Apr 21, 2003 11:46 am

Don't think K is what you actual need then either - since if K is a spring constant the pole does not behave like a linear spring - flex number as currently derived is more beam theory which is also not technically correct - you would need to relate it to elastic column buckling theory -

skola28
    PV Beginner

Unread postby skola28 » Mon Apr 21, 2003 8:15 pm

Decamouse wrote:Don't think K is what you actual need then either - since if K is a spring constant the pole does not behave like a linear spring - flex number as currently derived is more beam theory which is also not technically correct - you would need to relate it to elastic column buckling theory -

Just so you know, K doesn't have to be linear ;), so it really actually would be K, and yes it would be proportional to the flex number.
    --------------------------------------------------

Time flies like an arrow;

Fruit flies like bannanas...

Russ
    PV Master

Unread postby Russ » Mon Apr 21, 2003 9:20 pm

Boy, for a math-challenged person like me, these answers are terrific. These answers are also incredibly intelligent - which is all the more remarkable, given the original question that was asked.

[/img]
    Russ

"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”