Swing Efficiency Comparison: Bubka, Tradenkov, Lavillenie

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
altius
PV Rock Star

Re: Swing Efficiency Comparison: Bubka, Tradenkov, Lavillenie

Unread postby altius » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:56 pm

"Oh thats right, I'm just seeing thing again, as I'm delusional!"

Well I suppose that recognising the problem is a start towards recovery! But you probably need to talk to some professionals in the mental health field to speed the process up.
Last edited by altius on Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

PVDaddy
PV Follower
Expertise: Former High School Vaulter, High School coach, College coach
Lifetime Best: 10.5 Ft
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Cornelius Warmerdam

Unread postby PVDaddy » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:25 pm

Altius, Not a lot to take from that.
Every jot and every tittle adds up to more than just a little.

PVDaddy
PV Follower
Expertise: Former High School Vaulter, High School coach, College coach
Lifetime Best: 10.5 Ft
Favorite Vaulter: Cornelius Warmerdam

Unread postby PVDaddy » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:39 pm

Altius, a great example of his grandmothers saying. "A man convinced against his will remains of the same opinion still!"
Every jot and every tittle adds up to more than just a little.

willrieffer
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 15'
Favorite Vaulter: All of them...

Unread postby willrieffer » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:24 pm

IAmTheWalrus wrote:I quick aside:

DJ has posted (numerous times I believe) that many vaulters (Bubka included) were on poles whose extreme stiffness did not allow for adequate deflection and subsequent chord shortening: i.e. they could stand to use a softer pole.

Is it possible, that a contributor to Lavillenie's success, and his potentially greater efficiency over Bubka is a result of an increased shortening of the chord of the pole?

I know that this is a result of many of the factors discussed (moment of inertia, angular momentum, energy at takeoff, etc.) but it can also be a matter of proper equipment selection.

There is a lot of folklore in relation to Bubka, so I don't know if there is any truth to this, but I had heard that he more or less should have been holding higher than he was, but instead was using stiffer poles to keep from blowing through (I also heard stories about him trying to bury the standards further back than 80 because he had so much excess horizontal velocity at top). His WR jump at 6.14 (to me at least) seems to somewhat support this fact.

Just food for thought.

If DJ is around he may be able to provide more substantive information.

For most who have vaulted they can remember practice with a short run and low grip height. What happens is that you wind up at times speeding the swing up to make the vault. This cannot be considered ideal and I would further theorize with ideas from the pole experts that Bubka was pushing the limits of pole manufacturing. That he could have used longer and softer poles to better effect/higher grip height, but would have to have adjusted his swing speed over time. That is he would have had to have slowed his early swing down on such poles to enact the vault. He then would have had to adjust to speed to vertical. All in the way Lavillenie does. These things conspired to make Bubka less efficient...

As it was, it's obvious Bubka didn't need to push the envelope in this direction. The old Soviet system rewarded him best for making small increments in the WR. Why fight it?

Will

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”