Pole Vault Library

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.

18 ft vaulter usualy runs 10.9-11.1 (100m), grips 4.65-4.80, 90cm-105cm over the grip. Can a woman do this?

Poll ended at Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:49 pm

yes
36%
no
64%

Total votes: 33

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Re: Pole climbs

Unread postby master » Sun May 29, 2005 4:57 pm

ladyvolspvcoach wrote:It has become a regular part of our practice! You have to climbe QUICKLY to be successfull in getting to the top of the pole!

Do you have any video that would demonstrate this exercise?

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

library

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Sun May 29, 2005 5:27 pm

I don't have any video, but it's pretty simple. We start from two steps (one left). Right Left take off and climb one hand over the other as high as you can go. With the two step drill start by standing on the back of the box and reaching as high as you can. Bring that mark back tothe runway and add four hand widths. Start with you grip there. As you become more aggressive with your take off you will move up grips! Straddle the pole when you jump on the two step drill (yea boys and girls! trust me you won't loose your place in the choir). Then move back to two lefts then four. At the two and four lefts drive up thepole to the side and pull as fast as youcan!! hand over hand. Hope that is helpful! I'll try to gen up some video of this in the next week or so!

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Sun May 29, 2005 5:33 pm

Thanks ladyvolspvcoach. That is pretty descriptive. I'll try it the next time I have access to a pit.

Mecham
PV Lover

Unread postby Mecham » Sun May 29, 2005 5:52 pm

So, is this like a pop-up, but subsituting the swing up with a climb up? Instead of swinging upside down, you just climb to the the top of the pole? Would the same grips and run length of the pop-up apply to the climb grip and run?
Just you wait...

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

yep

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Mon May 30, 2005 2:46 pm

Very similar, but using the two and four step approach forces a proper take off (jump with leg separation) and helps to develop upper body strength and timing.

Mecham
PV Lover

Unread postby Mecham » Mon May 30, 2005 3:18 pm

Cool, my pop-up run is short to begin with, so i will have to try that during summer practice
Just you wait...

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”