Pole Vault Manifesto

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.

Is 18ft vault possible for women

Poll ended at Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:12 pm

Yes
56%
No
44%

Total votes: 61

agapit
PV Follower

Re: Pole Vault Manifesto

Unread postby agapit » Thu May 05, 2011 3:35 pm

atlegu wrote:
I know Brad walker doesn't pull, I know Steve Hooker doesn't pull (from what they have said).

What about Isinbaeva?

Looking at this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlWRPDNZ9c0&feature=related (go to 1.55). For me it seems like she is pulling !

I never spoke ot her. What you guys think from the video; pushing, rowing or pulling?
there is no spoon... www.m640.com

golfdane
PV Pro

Unread postby golfdane » Thu May 05, 2011 4:07 pm

agapit wrote:
golfdane wrote:I find this video rather interesting. Is the bending of the pole the result of pulling or just the weight of the vaulter? He's definately not swinging from his top hand alone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX-sJlKrrbQ&feature=related

It's obvious that to accelerate their inversion they would have to pull with left :)

I have abandoned this exercise a while back because it has a "dead end" which does not, or should I say, should not happen and other then some left arm awareness in my opinion this exercise has very little training effect. Is it ok for me to say that? I think, I see Vitaly in the video :) I also do not do sliding box, underwater vault, left arm pole pushes and a few other drills.

:) I saw this drill for the first time 2 days ago in this video. I had a 15 year old 4m vaulter do it with no run-up the same afternoon (jumping of the ground), and he performed it almost perfect. However, I doubt we will incorporate it in our drill repertoire.
Have a homemade sliding box, but have never used it for run-up drills. No access to pool where we could bring poles (without the risk of them calling the mental warden).

Watching the Bubka 6.01 clearance here http://www.stabhoch.com/movies/19970801_Bubka_601.mov, does it appear that the part of the pole between his hands straightens out a bit when he's going into the inversion (just after getting aligned with the cord of the pole). Seems to indicate some sort of pulling (speeding up the inversion :) ).

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu May 05, 2011 4:27 pm

agapit wrote:Is my style of presentation giving you concerns? Am I running people away from your site? I don’t want to impose ;)

No, I was just teasing you... continue on :)

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Thu May 05, 2011 5:17 pm

golfdane wrote:
agapit wrote:
golfdane wrote:I find this video rather interesting. Is the bending of the pole the result of pulling or just the weight of the vaulter? He's definately not swinging from his top hand alone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX-sJlKrrbQ&feature=related

It's obvious that to accelerate their inversion they would have to pull with left :)

Watching the Bubka 6.01 clearance here http://www.stabhoch.com/movies/19970801_Bubka_601.mov, does it appear that the part of the pole between his hands straightens out a bit when he's going into the inversion (just after getting aligned with the cord of the pole). Seems to indicate some sort of pulling (speeding up the inversion :) ).

Good observation!

vaultman18
PV Pro
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby vaultman18 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:15 am

Bump! I suggest if you are following the recent threads by David Bussabarger you read the first post of this thread by Agapit.

coachjvinson
PV Whiz
Expertise: I have never recognized the concept of limits-I think an athlete who accepts limits is dead-Bubka
Lifetime Best: 0
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: COOP 4.55m and Mondo

Unread postby coachjvinson » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:38 pm

Vaultman18 thank you for the BUMP...
PURSUITOF2016

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:07 pm

Wow the Manifesto lives!! That's 7 years!! Interesting... I read it again and I would not chage a thing, keep it authentic :) More Soma (Sanskrit सोम sóma), is coming soon, really nice!! Just a teaser :)

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:55 am

Babba Sparks mentioned this post in January 2013 issue of Vaulter magazine and I went back and re-read it. I was going to write a reply to the magazine article, but I really did not want to upset Babba. It would be nice if Babba could ok for me to critic his article and then, with his permission, I would do just that and send it to the magazine.

I really should be give a Nobel Prize for applied abstract modeling in physical development. Just kidding :) Every line in this post has so much information coded in it that I am shocked myself how I was able to outline it all so precisely in such a brief post, so even after 8 years, I would not change a letter!

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:10 am

You are my hero Roman! :heart:
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:27 am

altius wrote:You are my hero Roman! :heart:

Just having fun Alan! What else is there really? It's like playing in a big sand box of pole vaulting. I feel like a kid :) Very therapeutic! One cannot be serious about silly things like running and jumping with a stick. I do it for love, inspiration of others and progress!

Just came from Reno with a win and indoor PR 4.30. Looking promising on 4.50++ The season just started, so I think it be a productive indoor. I will forward videos to you for your opinion.

Cheers!

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”