Lavillenie vs Bubka

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
altius
PV Rock Star

Re: Lavillenie vs Bubka

Unread postby altius » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:23 pm

I knew it would be a waste of time and it was. You reply to a challenge that you cannot meet, with a challenge that has already been answered in BTB2. I simply cannot waste any more time on you. So carry on in ignorance, pity about your athletes - if you have any.
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:48 pm

Here are some practical challenges for you - the first one is simple. Take a look at the film of Lexi Weeks in the high school section and tell us what you think her strengths and weaknesses are. I am sure Morrie won't mind - indeed he will probably welcome it. When you have done this - within the next twenty four hours say, find the film of Kurtis Marshall I posted last year and tell us what we changed to move a 16 year old from 4.50 to 5.05m within 9 months. You may find this a bit more difficult but you will still find it a useful practical coaching exercise. :D

PVDaddy
PV Follower
Expertise: Former High School Vaulter, High School coach, College coach
Lifetime Best: 10.5 Ft
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Cornelius Warmerdam

Unread postby PVDaddy » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:57 pm

First of all I would like to say congratulation to Lexi on her technique development, athleticism and her new PR of 13', 6.5"!
Altius, I am willing to provide my critique on areas of her Vault that I feel she could improve but, I am sure you will find fault in most I suggest but here goes.
Before I begin, I want to make it clear that I really like her style and the direction she is going and congratulate Morry for his work and also his fortune in having such a fine young Lady who seems to posses a great personality to boot. It can be difficult when providing critique of others as it is so easy to be cast in the light of a know it all by others. That is not the intent here. Just my opinion.

It appears she is coming from 7 lefts and does a pretty good job of running with the pole and continuous with smooth acceleration into her final 3 steps. She seem to be consistent with her run up and steps. In most of her vaults, except perhaps her last (The PR) she appears to be a little under and stretches a little bit to much into her last one. I like her plant mechanics as the hands seem to match the feet very nicely and on time. I like the way she fully extends her top hand but noticed she leans her head back into take-off and needs to keep it upright and neutral. I think her hand spacing is to wide and because of that she runs with the back hand to far back behind the hip but more specifically it hinders her ability to get the bottom hand above her forehead at plant (It is to low), her elbow collapses and she needs to work more on keeping the bottom elbow facing . As I said she takes off a little under and all this becomes more exaggerated with the effect of having her bottom hand almost strike her in the forehead. She needs to stay behind the pole more and doing this will help. This wide hand spacing also hinders her swing and she has a great one with great potential. However, I would like to see her swing leg come all the way close to the top arm elbow, (She seems to do a god job of keeping her top arm with the chord) and see greater shoulder rotation at the top while getting her hips up and her shoulders and head down more. IMO Narrowing her grip will help her tremendously with most of these issues. She does a great job of exploiting energy out of her swing as I really like how she pulls and pushes with the bottom and top hand and has excellent body mechanics and awareness going over the bar. Perhaps she is ready for a little stiffer pole as well. I believe if she continuous to improve in these areas this girl will have an amazing career! I watched a girl vault 14' 2" 2 weeks ago to set the stadium record and move to the top on NCAA Div 2 and believe Lexi has that ability or more, if she make improvements these areas. Just my opinion.
Every jot and every tittle adds up to more than just a little.

PVDaddy
PV Follower

Unread postby PVDaddy » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:09 am

I meant to say bottom arm elbow facing "Out". I also forgot to mention that I feel she could do a better job of upright body position with chest forward in penetration and I think her being under, along with her bottom hand being low is a factor to her position.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:22 pm

As I said earlier - your comment on the bending of the pole to the side indicates that you have not the slightest idea of the major advantage of a flexible pole over a stiff pole. The fact that the pole moves to the side as it flexes is completely irrelevant to the biomechanics of the vault.

Re selling my book - I am pretty sure that when most folk see your tag on a post they dont bother to read any more posts - by anybody. So my mentioning the book - which incidentally is nearly sold out - does nothing for its sales. However it is worth noting that Becca - the lovely lady who runs this site - has enough confidence in it to take 10 boxes last August and does a better job of promoting it than I do.

But surely you are ready to write your own book now. I wait its publication with interest - but I intend to read nothing else you write here. You are clearly a charlatan with no experience of actually coaching the event. Good night and good luck.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:26 pm

Oh - a pretty reasonable analysis of Lexi Weeks - but go back and take another look to see what you missed.

PVDaddy
PV Follower

Unread postby PVDaddy » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:42 pm

Altius:
The fact that the pole moves to the side as it flexes is completely irrelevant to the biomechanics of the vault.

Continue to reflect on this, you are missing at least 2 reasons why it is indeed significant.

PVDaddy
PV Follower

Unread postby PVDaddy » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:59 pm

Altius, I realise I did not discuss the major advantage of the flexible pole vs. the stiff one. My intent was only to discuss a few of the differences.
The Major advantages have already been discussed here on PVP to ad nausium.
Your response to my question shows a lack of understanding or critical thinking.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:24 pm

Apologies -not really -for not reading any more of your responses - but on further reflection - it WAS a pretty good effort for someone who knows little about the vault. Once you have identified the most critical problems, which you have not done so far, prioritise them and then suggest how the coach might go about dealing with them. ;)

PVDaddy
PV Follower

Unread postby PVDaddy » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:54 am

Ok Altius I will go back and study it in more detail, as I'm very eager to know more. If I don't identify what it is your experienced eyes have seen, are you willing to enlighten me, all differences aside? I mean that seriously!

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:44 am

If you do - I will pm you what I pmd Morrie - on his request note.

PVDaddy
PV Follower

Unread postby PVDaddy » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:56 am

You mean if I conclude what you did? Or if I attempt to identify more? I'm pretty sure there is more I could find if I look harder? This took me all of 5 minutes to do.

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”