What are coaches looking for from PVP?

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
altius
PV Rock Star

What are coaches looking for from PVP?

Unread postby altius » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:44 pm

It appears that I am in a minority of one in suggesting, that those who are presenting the kind of derailed analyses of the Petrov/Bubka model that has filled the advanced section of PVP over recent weeks, actually show us the athletes that they are helping to master the model. Since that seems unlikely to happen I would like to know how many practicing coaches would rather see such examples along with a detailed explanation of the process that was followed, the training methods they employed and the most important drills they used, to achieve their results.

Now for me this is an all or none moment. If I am wrong, and coaches are happy to follow the incessant debate about minutiae without seeing any practical application of the ideas in question, then I will withdraw cowed and beaten from PVP in the clear knowledge that I have misunderstood the mood of the majority. Although I must say that my suspicion is that many practical coaches gave up looking at these discussions some time ago so they won't even look at this post. However if I am correct it will be important for folk to make their opinions known. If they don't want to risk a blast of criticism then they could just pm me. I really would like to know the truth of this matter.
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

PVDaddy
PV Follower
Expertise: Former High School Vaulter, High School coach, College coach
Lifetime Best: 10.5 Ft
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Cornelius Warmerdam

Re: What are coaches looking for from PVP?

Unread postby PVDaddy » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:09 am

Altius, I have two vaulters that I have been working with for like 6 training sessions at most. I am lucky if they are able to work with me an hour in each session. The track coach has them exercising the first 1.5 hours of practice? Today I had a 3rd that vaults in competition and actually decided to practice today?! Before I started to train them I first went to a track meet about two weeks ago and have it on camera. I have been employing much of what I have learned here on PVP with a focus on specificity of training (Sound familiar? You taught me that term, all though I have always been a fan!) I am willing to give names, school, track meet, stats, dates etc. of before and after to show their their progress and tell you how we trained. Were can I post it?
Every jot and every tittle adds up to more than just a little.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:48 am

Thanks old son, I appreciate your interest. But it looks as though the answer to my question has already been provided. 36 views and you are the only one to respond, so it is clear that I AM in a minority of one. I will move on and try to finish my book on the teaching/coaching of soccer. Good luck with your athletes. :yes:
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

ADTF Academy
PV Follower

Unread postby ADTF Academy » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:50 am

Theory is easy... It is clean, it is in our mind so it makes perfect sense.

Real is hard... It is concrete, it is right in front of us and causes many to loose hair trying to explain.

Not many want to live in the real. Sadly theory on a forum is easier and makes more sense. You will only find athletes wanting help and not coaches showing what they are or are not doing. Everyone is a critique till it's their own athlete than they are a work in progress. Sad truth about coaching it seems is that everyone else is wrong and the coach is always right....

Well not all of us it seems I know I have made mistakes and learn from them daily. Good coaches grow and learn everyday. Theory coaches live in a bubble.

CoachEric
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Private Coach for HS and College Athletes
Lifetime Best: 16'
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby CoachEric » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:57 am

It appears that I am in a minority of one in suggesting, that those who are presenting the kind of derailed analyses of the Petrov/Bubka model that has filled the advanced section of PVP over recent weeks, actually show us the athletes that they are helping to master the model.

Altius, you might recall that I did post videos of one of my athletes in support of the drill that I was advocating, per your request. You might not strictly agree with what I was saying, but I'll be in your minority. :)

PV2020
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter
Favorite Vaulter: Lázaro Borges

Unread postby PV2020 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:31 am

ADTF Academy wrote:Theory is easy... It is clean, it is in our mind so it makes perfect sense.

Real is hard... It is concrete, it is right in front of us and causes many to loose hair trying to explain.

Not many want to live in the real. Sadly theory on a forum is easier and makes more sense. You will only find athletes wanting help and not coaches showing what they are or are not doing. Everyone is a critique till it's their own athlete than they are a work in progress. Sad truth about coaching it seems is that everyone else is wrong and the coach is always right....

Well not all of us it seems I know I have made mistakes and learn from them daily. Good coaches grow and learn everyday. Theory coaches live in a bubble.

I was recently at a track meet where there was one coach that spent almost all of the time during the meet critiquing every athletes jump. Not just the ones he was coaching, but all of them, very loudly. He was talking about petrov type things and saying they need this, they need that, this would make them jump so much better, ect.

At this meet (a college meet that is) he had two girls no height at 9'6 and a guy jump 14'. A part of me wanted to turn to him and just be like, those little changes must not be quite so easy since you don't have the ability to coach them yourself.

His cocky attitude kind of helps the argument and hurts it. One it shows some people are trying to coach petrov and just suck at it, but it also shows that sometimes people just pick other things to worry about that work with the athlete they are working with because they athlete could just not get it.

I know you think petrov is very easy to learn and teach, but as you said, you worked with a limited number of athletes. When you watch a ton of people come through a college program that have came from bad high school coaches you start to figure out that there are a lot of dumb un-coordinated people that can pole vault decently, but are never going to be able to do some of the most simple drills.

littlewilson85
PV Beginner
Expertise: High School Coach

Unread postby littlewilson85 » Wed May 01, 2013 9:31 pm

I know I personally joined to few videos and analysis of vaults. I learn best from watching and reading what others have to say. I like to see videos of the drills people are doing that I could possibly include in my program. Being a high school coach in Ohio, track season is short due to weather. The videos and analysis helps me decide which drills to include as a mainstay and which are not worth the bang for the buck. I am with Altius and seem to think the Advanced forum turns into arguments and rants about who is better and why. I really could care less. I am part of PVP to hopefully positively impact the life of young athlete as the venture down the path of life. These are just some of my thoughts and opinions.

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Thu May 02, 2013 6:56 am

littlewilson85 wrote:I know I personally joined to few videos and analysis of vaults. I learn best from watching and reading what others have to say. I like to see videos of the drills people are doing that I could possibly include in my program. Being a high school coach in Ohio, track season is short due to weather. The videos and analysis helps me decide which drills to include as a mainstay and which are not worth the bang for the buck. I am with Altius and seem to think the Advanced forum turns into arguments and rants about who is better and why. I really could care less. I am part of PVP to hopefully positively impact the life of young athlete as the venture down the path of life. These are just some of my thoughts and opinions.

Thank you!!!
there is no spoon... www.m640.com

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”