the core of m640

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: the core of m640

Unread postby KirkB » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:17 pm

agapit wrote:Jake Blankenship in my opinion is the closest one I know in the world to m640 model today and yes he lowers his leg and yes his takeoff jump is “soft”. His push at this time is 1.05m!!!

I took a look at his NCAA Indoors (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIbIDu3r9xE&feature=youtu.be).

It is interesting that you would identify his as being closest to the m640 model today, but I think you know what you're looking for.

When I first saw him jump this way a few weeks ago, I discounted his technique as being yet another guy that drops his lead knee, or doesn't drive it up in the first place.

So I will assume that he's not being coached to keep his lead knee low?

Now that you mention it - and I wouldn't have noticed this if you hadn't mentioned it - I don't see much (if any) delay or pause in a tuck or pike. His CoG seems to be moving continuously upwards. I didn't notice this because I was distracted by his lead knee action.

I suppose there's SOME delay (and inefficiency?) in getting his CoG moving quickly upwards while he "drops" his lead knee, but once he does his weird 2-legged swing, he does seem to swing (recover?) BOTH legs up in a nice continuous motion. I know that this takes tremendous core strength, and good gymnastics agility/strength.

So if I filter out his unusual lead knee action, yes, I can see the Petrov Model, and by extension the 640 Model - based on his lack of tuck or pike.

I wonder what his intent is? Does he intentionally not drive the lead knee, or is this just a bad (or good) habit?

Kirk Bryde
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:20 pm

IAmTheWalrus wrote:
Jake Blankenship in my opinion is the closest one I know in the world to m640 model today

Roman, not to deviate from the current conversation, but would you say that Marvin Reitze, from South Carolina, represents the 640 model pretty well too?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1QAK9t1jjI

I perhaps I would disagree. Jake accelerates his rotation right away and has a very streamlined and simple model, Martin, the product of German studieren, unfortunately does not. Now, Jake has a "soft jump" (the section on this should be published in the next few days on m640) with lowering of his drive leg, which delays the acceleration a bit, but I believe Russ Johnson, his coach, will fix it given a bit more time, as I know he is aware of it.
there is no spoon... www.m640.com

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:46 pm

...Wow! The conclusion from this is, that if you look purely from speed preservation, it is better to let the pole to lift the body rather then for an athlete to jump off the ground!??...

Really? What are you thinking man?!

Well, we just published two new sections on m640.com: "Note to Members" & "Takeoff Jump". Moving forward two steps at the time!

http://m640.com/member_content

Enjoy!

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:04 am

I'm sorry but I'm not able to connect the dots between what I posted and what you're saying here. Or maybe you're referring to Walrus' post? :confused: Could you please explain?

I have always believed that you needed to JUMP vigorously on takeoff, and I don't see Jake doing that, else his lead knee would have driven higher. I think the CoG needs to get rising as quickly as it can, and even though he has a surprising recovery from his lead knee being so low, I still view this as suboptimal technique.

What confuses me is that maybe he and/or his coach don't view this technique as suboptimal, and maybe for certain body types (and gymnastics training history), a double-legged swing ain't bad? I honestly don't know because I'm on the outside looking in on this - I have no experience with a double-leg swing.

I was amazed when Wolfgang Nordwig dropped his lead knee (and cleared a WR in 1971 and was OC1972 with his technique); I was amazed at Jason Colwick's technique; and I continue to be amazed at Jake Blankenship's technique.

Renaud Lavillennie's lead knee drops too, with great success, adding to my confusion. I suppose he's suboptimal too.

Kirk Bryde
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:58 am

KirkB wrote:I'm sorry but I'm not able to connect the dots between what I posted and what you're saying here. Or maybe you're referring to Walrus' post? :confused: Could you please explain?

I have always believed that you needed to JUMP vigorously on takeoff, and I don't see Jake doing that, else his lead knee would have driven higher. I think the CoG needs to get rising as quickly as it can, and even though he has a surprising recovery from his lead knee being so low, I still view this as suboptimal technique.

What confuses me is that maybe he and/or his coach don't view this technique as suboptimal, and maybe for certain body types (and gymnastics training history), a double-legged swing ain't bad? I honestly don't know because I'm on the outside looking in on this - I have no experience with a double-leg swing.

I was amazed when Wolfgang Nordwig dropped his lead knee (and cleared a WR in 1971 and was OC1972 with his technique); I was amazed at Jason Colwick's technique; and I continue to be amazed at Jake Blankenship's technique.

Renaud Lavillennie's lead knee drops too, with great success, adding to my confusion. I suppose he's suboptimal too.

Kirk Bryde

Kirk, apologize if I was confusing. I have published a new, next in order member section - "Takeoff Jump" on m640.com, so my last post is not related to any previous posts by anyone. I just show an exurb from the section on m640.com to get the head wheels spinning. The Blankenship's takeoff is also presented in the "Takeoff Jump" section of m640.

Cheers!

P.S. Perhaps its time you visit it :)

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”