Free take off issues

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
VTechVaulter
PV Lover
Expertise: Current Elite Vaulter, College Volunteer Coach, HUGE FAN

Free take off issues

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Mon May 24, 2004 12:16 am

Okay. So heres a question for all the coaches out there, or anyone with some good info. I have been working a lot at developing a good free take off. And the last couple of practices i do get it. But, on the jumps where my take off is "free" my hips get sucked under. I am not a locked arm vaulter, so i dont think its a block issue, and my posture is forward. Any ideas?
Brian Mondschein
Philadelphia Jumps Club, Coach and Co-Founder
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

Barto
PV Great
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby Barto » Mon May 24, 2004 12:37 am

Could be a million different things, but my money is probably on .....

Gripping too high for the # of joules you are generating at takeoff!

A "free" takeoff has become the holy grail of young pole vaulters. Everyone is searching for it, but nobody know what to do with it when they find it! My 2 cents.....

Only a handful of men in the world have been able to convert a consistently "free" takeoff into consistent high bars. The difficulty is this. The more out your step is, the smaller pole/lower grip you are going to be able to move to vertical. You have to be a monster at the takeoff to make a "free" takeoff work on a big pole. Most mere mortals will be much more successful with their step between on and under by 3"-4" because they will be able to move a much larger pole and grip higher as well. I have found that a much bigger factor in how well a vaulter swings is their takeoff angle rather than their takeoff point. Up and through the bottom arm from 4" under is much better than a flat angle from 2" out.

Take it or leave it,

Barto's 2 cents.

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Mon May 24, 2004 1:15 am

Barto wrote:Could be a million different things, but my money is probably on .....

Gripping too high for the # of joules you are generating at takeoff!

A "free" takeoff has become the holy grail of young pole vaulters. Everyone is searching for it, but nobody know what to do with it when they find it! My 2 cents.....

Only a handful of men in the world have been able to convert a consistently "free" takeoff into consistent high bars. The difficulty is this. The more out your step is, the smaller pole/lower grip you are going to be able to move to vertical. You have to be a monster at the takeoff to make a "free" takeoff work on a big pole. Most mere mortals will be much more successful with their step between on and under by 3"-4" because they will be able to move a much larger pole and grip higher as well. I have found that a much bigger factor in how well a vaulter swings is their takeoff angle rather than their takeoff point. Up and through the bottom arm from 4" under is much better than a flat angle from 2" out.

Take it or leave it,

Barto's 2 cents.

I agree :yes:
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”