What is your correct takeoff point?

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
willrieffer
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 15'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: All of them...

Re: What is your correct takeoff point?

Unread postby willrieffer » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:34 pm

Bubka's 1st 6m, is a real free take off. And his pole is reverse bent in it in action of the arms and I would think, the tip hitting down the the box. Yes, he was very free. It's what I said before the vault.

The rest I'll answer in my Critique

christopherjmiller
PV Beginner
Expertise: Former HS vaulter, Parent
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby christopherjmiller » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:33 pm

Can you plainly (simply!) explain what the vaulter is doing to initiate the pole rotation at take-off?

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:26 pm

christopherjmiller wrote:Can you plainly (simply!) explain what the vaulter is doing to initiate the pole rotation at take-off?

Since this is only your second post, I assume that you are a rookie vaulter?

I will answer here, but also search the Beginner's Technique Forum for more fundamental explanations, and ask your question again there if you can't find what you're looking for.

Pole rotation means moving the pole to vertical. i.e. Rotating it from its angle at takeoff to 90 degrees (straight up).

The simplest explanation that I can give to answer your question is that the vaulter should be taking off in such a way that his forwards momentum from his run continues through his entire vault. To do this, the vaulter should jump off the runway at about an 18 degree angle. This will vary slightly depending on your particular technique.

The vaulter should not try to impede this momentum in any way. He should not apply any forwards pressure with his bottom hand, and he should not grip too high or use too heavy of a pole. His takeoff foot should also be "on" rather than "under" his top hand when his foot leaves the runway. Any of these errors will slow down this momentum, and the pole will fail to rotate smoothly to vertical.

Instead, he should choose a technique, pole weight, and grip that allows him to roll the pole to vertical (rotate the pole, as you say), so that he lands safely in the PLZ (Preferred Landing Zone, or "Coach's Box") in the middle of the pit.

Those are the basics. The next step is to clear the bar. :)

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”