How fast are the fastest women?

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
PV2020
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Lázaro Borges

How fast are the fastest women?

Unread postby PV2020 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:33 pm

I have seen speed trap data on a lot of women and most are around the 8.0-8.5 m/s range in the elite fields.

My question, are there any women in the world pole vaulting over 15' that can run the 100m dash in under 12.00 seconds. I know it is not an astonishing mark but I know there are guys jumping over 17' that can not break 12.00 in the 100m dash (YES THEY DO EXIST!).

That being said, how much better would women jump if coaches just started trying to convince all the sub 12.00s girls to pole vault?

Barto
PV Great
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Re: How fast are the fastest women?

Unread postby Barto » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:20 pm

Running under 12 for the hundred has very little to do with being fast at the takeoff. The 100m is a very technical event in itself. The differences between female and male pole vaulters' takeoff velocities are comparable to to the differences between female and male long jumpers. If you are looking for potential pv athletes, look at the pool of 6m long jumpers. That group will produce more vaulters than the sub 12 100m group.
Facts, Not Fiction

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”