What Petrov said....!

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
altius
PV Rock Star

What Petrov said....!

Unread postby altius » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:51 am

In his paper "Pole vault - the state of the art" published by the IAAF in 2004, Vitaly Petrov wrote,
"Although opinions regarding various aspects of pole vaulting can differ, the physical and mechanical principles of the event are irrefutable. The system of two pendulums changing in length (with the pole as the first pendulum, and the vaulter as the second) is the mechanical basis of pole vault vault technique. The angular velocity of each pendulum is to a certain extent controlled by the distance from the vaulter's centre of mass to the axis of rotation around the hand and the shoulder girdle. From this a technical pattern (MODEL) of pole vaulting has been developed. Although this pattern (MODEL) is based on biomechanical laws, differences in physique, physical fitness, psychological concentration abilities, and coordination skills lead to certain deviations and those can be interpreted as individual approaches to the implementation of the pattern (THEIR STYLE)".

NOTE MY CAPS!!!

He went on to detail the elements of this "technical pattern".
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

ADTF Academy
PV Follower

Re: What Petrov said....!

Unread postby ADTF Academy » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:35 am

Isn't this basically the same thing a couple of us have been saying. Except from the mouth of the God to some Petrov.

"Although this pattern (MODEL) is based on biomechanical laws, differences in physique, physical fitness, psychological concentration abilities, and coordination skills lead to certain deviations and those can be interpreted as individual approaches to the implementation of the pattern (THEIR STYLE)".

Very well stated. The skill of coaching IMO is learning what those deviation are and if what you see is a good deviation or a bad deviation. Thank you for posting this Alan. I don't think it could have been stated any better for many reasons. First and foremost, it came from Petrov himself. Let's see the P/B model people try to discredit Petrov himself saying deviations from the pattern (model) are ok if done based on the biomechanical laws of two pendulum systems working together. I'll say it again understand the principles or what your attempting to do them mold the athlete into their own clay sculpture.

My opinion this is pretty much ends all discussion on there is only one way to skin a cat.

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:22 pm

hye

i posted this years ago...

this matches statements that were made by Guy Kochel, 1974.. Tom Tellez and others.. the physics has not and does not change..

my whole "injection" into this as a base statement, from day one on PoleVaultPower was it is very important to know and monitor what happens on the run prior to the takeoff and the two pendulum action. Those actions are "Solely" determined by the actions from step one to step two, to the "MID" (six step) and right to the speed, posture and timing of the plant……

my position has never wavier from when I posted this same statement…

hopefully some readers that were still un-clear have began to piece the physics together…

dj

ps… everything Petrov said in that article can be aligned correctly with physics, (application of force) we just have to interpret with an open mind and not from our prior "prejudice"

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:15 pm

ADTF Academy wrote:
Although this pattern (MODEL) is based on biomechanical laws, differences in physique, physical fitness, psychological concentration abilities, and coordination skills lead to certain deviations and those can be interpreted as individual approaches to the implementation of the pattern (THEIR STYLE)".

My opinion this is pretty much ends all discussion on there is only one way to skin a cat.

Not if you are saying that there are many ways to skin a cat!

Everything Petrov ever said or wrote (including the rest of that particular article) -along with the technical models demonstrated by the athletes he coached, and the drills that he used - confirms that Petrov did believe that there WAS only one way to skin a cat - but that cat skins come in different colours, sizes and shapes. Despite this a skinned cat still always looks like cat - unless the person who skinned it didnt really know what they were doing of course.

But as my dear old granma used to say - a man (and it was always a man for some reason when she told it) convinced against his will, remains of the same opinion still.
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

ADTF Academy
PV Follower

Unread postby ADTF Academy » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:39 am

oops.... thats what I meant. Good correction of the color of the skins. Better analogy... I was more referring to the skinning of the cat can be done different ways but its still a cat.

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”