Problems pushing the pole

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
KCpolevault
PV Newbie
Expertise: current high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 11
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: scott huffman

Problems pushing the pole

Unread postby KCpolevault » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:49 pm

I seem to have a problem pushing the pole once i start swinging up. I just cant seem to figure out how to push the pole upwards while im upside down. Also, what is my bottom hand suppose to do the entire time?

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover
Expertise: former college vaulter, Current college coach
Lifetime Best: 5.26
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Re: Problems pushing the pole

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:34 am

You can't/ shouldn't try and push the pole when your upside down.. I think it's time to go back to the basics, what would you do if you were upside down on a straight pole going over a bar? Well I guess you wouldn't be completely upside down.
On a whole new level 6-20-09

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:56 am

good morning.

you are very right Kyle...

find articles on How to Begin pole vaulting.. ready the beginning threads on here...

once you have studied the basics of the vault... run-plant-swing i think your questions will relate to improving those things...

I have posted most of what Petrov has said about each phase of the event.. How to hold and carry the pole.. How to plant the pole and how to swing on the pole..

that would be your best read...

also i think your questions fit better in the beginning thread...

dj

vaultman18
PV Pro
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby vaultman18 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:03 am

KCpolevault wrote:I seem to have a problem pushing the pole once i start swinging up. I just cant seem to figure out how to push the pole upwards while im upside down. Also, what is my bottom hand suppose to do the entire time?

Read everything posted on this website from Agapit and you will find the answer. Spoiler....there is no push - ever. :yes:

KCpolevault
PV Newbie
Expertise: current high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 11
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: scott huffman

Unread postby KCpolevault » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:44 am

whats the job of the top hand then if its not supposed to push?

vaultman18
PV Pro
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby vaultman18 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:17 pm

KCpolevault wrote:whats the job of the top hand then if its not supposed to push?

What do you mean the job of the top hand? I would say the job of the top hand is to grip and hang on to the pole.

KCpolevault wrote: I just cant seem to figure out how to push the pole upwards while im upside down.

If you are inverted why would you push on the pole??? Why would you ever push on the pole? If you are inverted you should be using your arms to move your body up and over the bar.

golfdane
PV Pro

Unread postby golfdane » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:37 am

Semantics....
Of course there is a push! It just depends what you mean by pushing. The vaulter tries to "push" the pole towards vertical at takeoff. This energy is transferred through the hands. I'd like to say, that this energy is located in the lower chest, and the best way to maintain a proper pathway or linkage of the energy to the top hand, is to "push" as if you were in a handstand. Once you have swung to the cord of the pole, hang on.
Now, some might say, that the energy transferred from run-up and take-off through the top hand, and that this force is "pushing" the pole, but that's semantics.

I sometimes use the analogy of pushing a car. The most efficient way of moving the car, is to keep pushing. IOW, don't waste time going from pushing to pulling. You stay behind the car, and make sure the work you are doing, is keeping the car in motion.

Push, pull, row..... It all depends what you mean. I would argue, that Bubka did all of that at some point in a vault.

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”