Bending Trail Leg?

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
cdmilton
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Coach
Lifetime Best: 16-0(4.88)

Re: Bending Trail Leg?

Unread postby cdmilton » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:13 am

vaultman18 wrote:
cdmilton wrote:
fishman4god wrote:So if you do not drive the chest at take-off as you "jump up" what leads ?

1. Poor posture
2. Less powerful
3. Slower swing
4. Lower height

Not true if you over exaggerate driving the chest or actively try to drive the chest you are wasting valuable time. Time that would be better used to get inverted and push off the top of the pole. A vaulter should not try and get in "the pocket" or preform a "reverse C" both intents are passive. I am not saying it never happens I am saying it should not be the intent of the vaulter to try and preform this action.

Of course if you over exaggerate any phase of the vault it will go from a pro to a con. I was simply encouraging a small change in the takeoff position.
Chris Milton

fishman4god
PV Pro
Expertise: 4 Time all american 3 college 1 masters,Current high school pole vault coach,current masters vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.81 m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby fishman4god » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:30 pm

I can agree with that statement "if you over exagerate any phase" just wanted to clarify the chest leads part...............and it does just not as an intentional action but as a result fo good technique!

vaultman18
PV Pro
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter

Unread postby vaultman18 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:02 pm

Chest penetration does happen but should be minimized or eliminated if possible. Driving the chest is passive and delays the inversion. A vaulter certainly shouldn't be trained to drive the chest. Lots of things happen during a vault.....doesn't mean it should be there.

fishman4god
PV Pro
Expertise: 4 Time all american 3 college 1 masters,Current high school pole vault coach,current masters vaulter

Unread postby fishman4god » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:38 pm

OK I understand what you are saying.....but for the sake of clarification lets call it the take-off phase instead of he drive/chest drive phase. How could you eliminate the take-off position (even passing through it) that as many vaulters past and present recognize as the revese "c" . I agree you should not linger anywhere and that there should not be any passive phases......however if you do not have a reverse "C" somewhere after take-off you have no where to swing from. I coached gymnastics for 30 tears and taught thousands of giant swings and without a "tap" swing although ever so slight you will not swing correctly around the high bar. So bring me up to speed on what you are trying to convey so that I am on the same page.

vaultman18
PV Pro

Unread postby vaultman18 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:30 pm

http://www.polevaultpower.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4622

It is all in the link above it should answer your question and prompt many more at the same time.

fishman4god
PV Pro

Unread postby fishman4god » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:07 pm

Well for sure it answers some questions..........and I agree with most of the post, however some questions as you said........remain unanswered. The real big one is--------- does the left are pull from the beginning? I will try it and see if it makes a difference eliminating some passive phases :D thanks!

vaultman18
PV Pro

Unread postby vaultman18 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:52 am

fishman4god wrote:Well for sure it answers some questions..........and I agree with most of the post, however some questions as you said........remain unanswered. The real big one is--------- does the left are pull from the beginning? I will try it and see if it makes a difference eliminating some passive phases :D thanks!

Yes I believe the bottom arm should pull immediately. Anything other than a pull is passive but there are exceptions of course. If a vaulter is a foot under at take off then pulling will not be effective. In my opinion the biggest factor for the bottom arm to pull immediately is the plant and being in the proper position for take off.

fishman4god
PV Pro

Unread postby fishman4god » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:47 am

I agree with the take-off as the key element..............pulling makes sense but honestly it is a little unerving when we were drilled for years to push the bottom arm after take-off. Like the manifesto said (para-phrased) there are areas that we must un-learn if we are to progress.

vaultman18
PV Pro

Unread postby vaultman18 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:01 am

Yes it is hard to unlearn anything. And I am afraid that the majority of coaches and vaulters reject this model that Roman has put forth. I personally never really doubted it and it made perfect sense to me. I have since become more familiar with the training of such technique which helps link the theory to the practical application of the 6.40 model. But in simple terms the easiest way to reconcile the immediate pull is to think of the vault as nothing more than stiff pole vaulting and to ignore the bend. The guys that vaulted on steel or bamboo never even contemplated pushing with the bottom arm. Fisman4god I am glad that you have approached this with an open mind. Mahalo

fishman4god
PV Pro

Unread postby fishman4god » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:46 am

Thanks vaultman18 the stiff pole coment makes it even clearer. I am going to work it tomorrow at practice! Thanks

das_1971
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, bum
Lifetime Best: smthing lo
Favorite Vaulter: Don Pablo Espanol

Unread postby das_1971 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:27 pm

vaultman18 wrote: think of the vault as nothing more than stiff pole vaulting and to ignore the bend.

I'd like to have this etched into steel and just point at it. It seems everytime I comment or I'm asked about something, I come back to some form of this. Technically, the vault is simple speed and efficiency right. Speed is speed, but if you can't jump with the pole straight, your not gonna do it right with the pole bent. Bravo
Ow

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:22 am

[quote="vaultman18"]Yes it is hard to unlearn anything. And I am afraid that the majority of coaches and vaulters reject this model that Roman has put forth. I personally never really doubted it and it made perfect sense to me. I have since become more familiar with the training of such technique which helps link the theory to the practical application of the 6.40 model. But in simple terms the easiest way to reconcile the immediate pull is to think of the vault as nothing more than stiff pole vaulting and to ignore the bend. The guys that vaulted on steel or bamboo never even contemplated pushing with the bottom arm.

I wonder where you got that idea from????
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”