Bottom Hand Position

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
Tim McMichael
PV Master
Expertise: Current college and private coach. Former elite vaulter.

Bottom Hand Position

Unread postby Tim McMichael » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:05 pm

I am having a lot of success recently by being very precise with where the bottom hand is during the pole carry. If it isn't 8" from the chest and more or less centered nothing good happens. If it slips to the side and back during the run so that the hand approaches plane of the shoulder, the takeoff is ruined. What I am surprised by is the degree of difference. With the right position, even a beginner starts having a decent takeoff; with the wrong position, even an accomplished vaulter has a shockingly ugly jump. Has anyone else found this to be the case?

altius
PV Rock Star

Re: Bottom Hand Position

Unread postby altius » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:33 pm

Good to hear from you Tim - trust all goes well. Petrov recommended 20 centimetres - which is 8 inches - so you appear to be spot on - and it is working for your athletes>
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

tsorenson
PV Pro
Expertise: masters vaulter, former college vaulter, volunteer HS/club coach, fan, parent

Unread postby tsorenson » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:35 pm

Tim McMichael wrote:I am having a lot of success recently by being very precise with where the bottom hand is during the pole carry. If it isn't 8" from the chest and more or less centered nothing good happens. If it slips to the side and back during the run so that the hand approaches plane of the shoulder, the takeoff is ruined. What I am surprised by is the degree of difference. With the right position, even a beginner starts having a decent takeoff; with the wrong position, even an accomplished vaulter has a shockingly ugly jump. Has anyone else found this to be the case?

I fully agree with these comments. While many excellent vaulters may be able to get the plant up in time, even after dropping the hands, it has a negative effect on their stride length and height of COM at takeoff. This is what we spend all our time working on...the kids who have the easiest time with it are the ones who never learn to vault without this important point of emphasis. Once a kid has jumped for any length of time, their plant motion is "ingrained" and it takes (at least) twice as many drills to change the neuromuscular pathways. Often times they are never able to fix the plant, are stuck taking off under, and fail to reach their potential. The timing of the free pole drop is key for this element of technique...if the tip stops dropping even for a second, the hands will drop down and to the side, posture will be ruined, and the athlete will stride under because the hands take too long to get back up.

Personally, it has taken me 4 years to fix my plant and takeoff, and it still needs work. Not many young athletes have that much time to doink around with technique! Only masters vaulters have that luxury!

Tom

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:07 am

tsorenson wrote:.... Only masters vaulters have that luxury!
Tom

That may be so, but I am fighting a different clock. When you have a few more years under your belt you will appreciate what I'm saying. ;)
- master . . . http://www.plvlt.com

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:19 pm

Pole Carry-
Approach Run

Tully 1984 Olympics
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmOXBiYvS7s

Tully 1987
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uA7Dapjsh9A

Bubka.. 6.06
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHux1b3XRIA

Tim,

You are so correct about the pole carry… its huge for the correct drop, stride pattern, stride length and on into the plant…

In the 70's-Will Freeman, Mike Cotton and even Dave Roberts, started discussing "how" we were going to adjust to carrying the large, heavier poles… we experimented with getting the left/front hand "under" the pole..(Dave right hand) which would mean more "leverage" with the pole "weight" centered more with the body… left hand 10 inches from the chest.. under the pole and right hand on the hip/waist, … which would mean the pole tip would be carried higher…

The question came up as to how would we get the pole down to plant on time.. if we started with it so high?

My answer.. objects drop (including the pole tip) at 32 feet per second square!!! If the tip was 15 feet in the air you should be capable of getting it down, with a little extra time for the "wind" resistance holding it up, in a little over a second… we knew it was taking us 1.30/1.50 seconds to cover the last six steps… if you started the drop at 6 steps out there was a good chance you would be ok…

In the mid 80's I started to change Tully's pole carry alone with improving his run… the video's show the "before and after"… the after still wasn't complete.. see Bubka 1988…

You can't have a good run without a good correct carry… one without the other doesn't work..…

When I read Petrov

The left hand provides the direction and the bearing point around which the drop and the plant take place. If this is the case, then during the run it must remain motionless, positioned higher than the left elbow at all times.

The left hand remains at the same level as 6 steps before the push;

All the movements during the drop take place while the left hand is kept over the left elbow.

I knew this was the best description of "how" the pole should be carried and planted.... I tested it with myself and begin to "test" it with all the vaulter…

What I found was it goes with the "physics" of the run, pole drop and the ability to plant on time.

Keeping the wrist above the elbow.. and chest high helps the rhythm of the run… what is interesting is that if you carry this way, kept the wrist high (same level) and plant "over" the "fork of that hand you will never have a late plant.

I found only two things can happen… you run correctly and plant on time…
or if the run is off you will not even plant…… and will know it by six steps from the plant..

try it.. it's the only way to carry correctly and get the right result..

it can be changed a lot easier than you think... i have done it in three months on more than one occasion.. one of those jumped 13-6, no misses first meet, after a PR of 12-6 three years in a row..

dj

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:43 pm

PS..

by the way that was a female vaulter.. after her college career was over...

Tuesday i have a girl coming that jumped a PB of 10-6 Friday... she has the exact problem.. poor pole carry, poor run, only 5 lefts and swinging the pole around... this will be our first session.. although i knew her several years ago in high school...

i hope to fix the "issues" quick.. she can already grip 12 feet!!!!... so if she can get to the plant correctly... with this technique... i think she will move back to 6 or 7 lefts and Q for the NAIA outdoor.......

we will see...

dj

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”