Skip the Small Poles?

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
RoosterPV25
PV Fan
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Aspiring Elite Vaulter, High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 5.40

Re: Skip the Small Poles?

Unread postby RoosterPV25 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:36 pm

wtfisup wrote:As my good friend Father Time once said, "A correre e cagare ci si immerda i garretti."

Translation: Only real men land on the slant of the pit.

If you don't get stood up at least twice you're not trying hard enough.
Does Borges jump on small poles? No. He only has three. Big, Giant, and Viva LaBorges. Saw it in Jock-grim.

#mindblown

This is a great message to be sending to young vaulters :confused: :no:
PR=5.40 (17' 8.50")

airstryke4life
PV Beginner
Expertise: Ex-Pro, Fan, Parent, High-school Coach
Lifetime Best: 5.64
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Danny Ecker

Unread postby airstryke4life » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:55 pm

Good morning.
First of all, was Alan Webb a two sport track athlete, i.e. a pole vaulter? I would love dig up some high school PR/stats, WTFisup any help?

A-steeeezzy out.
Last edited by airstryke4life on Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Branko720
PV Whiz
Expertise: Club Coach

Unread postby Branko720 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:29 am

Do we seriously only have one person arguing against this guy? I don't know how many people on this board have been advocating putting the standards at 24" or further (60cm in metric) for years. I mean as a coach I have had standards at 20" or even 18" on rare occasions but I don't like doing that. Is airstryke4life aware that people can die pole vaulting. I don't think Bubka or anyone else changed the rules for standard settings to prevent world records. I think they did it to prevent people from getting injured. If you could put the standards at 0 many would and there would be countless more injuries in our sport. I hope no one actually listens to airstryke4life's guidance on this. As Roosterpv25 alluded to, many young kids read the posts on pole vault power. Imagine if some kid thinks that is the right way to vault. Bring the standards all the way in and jump on the biggest pole. Airstryke4life, how would you feel if some young vaulter listened to your advice and got injured?

vaultman18
PV Pro
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby vaultman18 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:56 am

airstryke4life wrote:Forget Eddie, Borges Would Go!

You from Hawai'i?

Haha "Eddie" did go and never came back.

wtfisup
PV Fan
Expertise: calmer than you are
Lifetime Best: 4.69m
Favorite Vaulter: Alan Webb

Unread postby wtfisup » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:46 pm

When I started bowling I was a novice to say the least. I searched the internet for tips and tricks. They're were lots of guys in forums talking about only using two fingers rather than 3 to spin the 4k ball. This can be really dangerous, resulting in balls flying into other lanes when theres a loss of control. I knew I wasn't ready for this kind of technique. It wasn't until a late night at the alley watching a local "Jesus Quintana" and he was using the technique. I asked him to show me for I read countless passages online and couldn't find any decent coaches to show me. Knowing that people are known not to mess with this guy (he usually talks in 3rd person) I was a little nervous. However, he showed me the technique and I performed it safely. Now I'm close to going on tour, if I can get my gambling debts in order.

Cliffnotes: Don't just try stuff you read on the internet ask a high trained professional or at least someone that claims to be.
"P" to tha mutha "V" "Dude, you going to the store?"

IAmTheWalrus
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current College Coach, Aspiring to be Elite Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.06m

Unread postby IAmTheWalrus » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:20 pm

people are known not to mess with this guy

8-year-olds do
-Nick

airstryke4life
PV Beginner
Expertise: Ex-Pro, Fan, Parent, High-school Coach
Lifetime Best: 5.64
Favorite Vaulter: Danny Ecker

Unread postby airstryke4life » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:47 am

Branko, jets, cool 'em. But in lieu of safety, I did some editing, for the youngsters of course. I will save any further discussion for the "Jedi-Advanced" forum.

Vaultman, Eddie = Legend.

7-10 split out.

vaultman18
PV Pro
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby vaultman18 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:22 pm

airstryke4life wrote:Vaultman, Eddie = Legend

Yeah I know who Eddie is and yes he is quite the legend. But is pole vault worth sacrificing your life???

Tim McMichael
PV Master
Expertise: Current college and private coach. Former elite vaulter.

Unread postby Tim McMichael » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:53 pm

wtfisup wrote:As my good friend Father Time once said, "A correre e cagare ci si immerda i garretti."

Translation: Only real men land on the slant of the pit.

If you don't get stood up at least twice you're not trying hard enough.
Does Borges jump on small poles? No. He only has three. Big, Giant, and Viva LaBorges. Saw it in Jock-grim.

#mindblown

I really cannot think of worse advice. The highest jumps come with the standards all the way back. What goes straight up must come straight down. A very narrow top end is not playing the averages, besides the fact that the further you push off, the more you penetrate. I personally witnessed the highest push off in the history of the sport, and the standards were all the way back on that jump. There is no such thing is a big pole, or there shouldn't be. There is the right pole and it will put you in the center of the pit every time. This does not just apply to youngsters with the assumption that they should be given watered down advice to keep them safe. It applies to everybody. If a vaulter does not hit the center of the pit, there is something fundamentally wrong with their technique. Proper technique makes the vault safe. If that were not true, this sport would and should be banned.

wtfisup
PV Fan
Expertise: calmer than you are
Lifetime Best: 4.69m
Favorite Vaulter: Alan Webb

Unread postby wtfisup » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:56 pm

Wise, wise words Tim McMichael. :yes:
"P" to tha mutha "V" "Dude, you going to the store?"

joebro391
PV Follower
Expertise: Current College Vaulter (Samford University)
Lifetime Best: 15'6
Favorite Vaulter: Duplantis, Borges, Bubka

Unread postby joebro391 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:55 pm

Tim McMichael wrote: I personally witnessed the highest push off in the history of the sport, and the standards were all the way back on that jump.

Do tell, sir :heart: -6P
PR: 15'6 !!PETROV/6.40 MODEL!! http://www.youtube.com/user/joebro391

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:23 pm

Spot on Tim = I have been unable to get on to PVP for several days and so have been unable to comment on the idiocy captured in that post .

1. The notion that you should use poles that will most likely ensure that you will land in the box at some point is stupid – indeed only a macho idiot would consider it. It should not even be suggested on a site dedicated to the promotion of safe pole vaulting. I realise that many folk have short memories but there are still some of us who can remember the real threat to the vault in high schools when three young men were tragically killed in the space of a few weeks in the USA, a few years ago.

2. If you check you will find that Bubka set virtually all of his records with the stands at 50/55cms. Folk who believe that he would even bother to get the rules changed so that his record would be maintained - are off the planet. The reality is that since he retired no one else has even got close to actually vaulting 6.10 far less 6.15 – and there have been a lot of great athletes trying. Athletes by the way who would not risk dropping into the box from close to 20’ – which is what is likely to happen with the standards at O using the wrong pole.
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”