Straight Pole Drills

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
Dream Punk
PV Newbie
Expertise: High School
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Straight Pole Drills

Unread postby Dream Punk » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:18 pm

I was wondering what is considered to be a "high" grip for straight pole drills.

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: Straight Pole Drills

Unread postby KirkB » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:27 pm

An optimally high grip is when you roll the pole over ... but you don't get excessive horizontal distance when you land. A grip that's "too high" is when you stall out and therefore can't execute the drill properly.

Remember that the grip is dependent on your takeoff speed and impulse as well as on your reach. It varies for each vaulter, and it will vary as your technique improves (or deteriorates) thru a practice.

The best way to determine your optimal grip for straight pole drills is to simply move it up or down a fist after each rep, depending on whether you're getting too much or not enough horizontal distance past the when you land.

You asked a "Beginning Technique" question that really belongs in the Beginner's forum. If you didn't understand any of the terms that I used, please let me know, and I'll be happy to clarify.
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Dream Punk
PV Newbie
Expertise: High School
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby Dream Punk » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:04 pm

I understand the actual procedure of determining grip height, but I was looking for more along the lines of bubkas grip height, or other elite vaulters.

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover
Expertise: former college vaulter, Current college coach
Lifetime Best: 5.26
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:50 pm

Bubka could grip 14ft, elite jumpers can grip 13+, elite girls probably 11ft +...
On a whole new level 6-20-09

tsorenson
PV Pro
Expertise: masters vaulter, former college vaulter, volunteer HS/club coach, fan, parent

Unread postby tsorenson » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:46 am

Measure your grip height above your standing grip (this is for the 3-step stiff pole, stay-behind drill...no swing, just move the pole into the pit):
4 feet is mandatory
5 feet is good
6 feet is amazing

Once you establish your maximum grip without swinging you can move your grip down a fist or so to do the swing drill. Most people who do the stiff pole swing drill grip way too low and "preload" the bottom arm to get it around the pole...this is a mistake because it teaches you not to finish the takeoff. Better to get really good at the stay-behind drill before you try the swing.

Good luck,
Tom

baggettpv
PV Master

Unread postby baggettpv » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:52 am

Good Tom, You learn well!!

Rick Baggett
WSTC
Good coaching is good teaching.

tsorenson
PV Pro
Expertise: masters vaulter, former college vaulter, volunteer HS/club coach, fan, parent

Unread postby tsorenson » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:43 am

I thought you'd like that response, Rick!

I've had some pretty great teachers...thanks

Tom

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”