Failure to launch

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
sawdust
PV Newbie
Expertise: high school vaulter, high school coach, masters vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13-6
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: stacy dragilla

Re: Failure to launch

Unread postby sawdust » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:47 pm

Tim
Vision is a major item that gets overlooked a lot. Had the same problem this year, coming back from a 2 year lay off due to surgery. Lots of good advice.

Sawdust

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:36 am

hey

great job... awesome looking vault...

keep the "MID" tight to the chart.. a 12-6 grip should put the "MID" at 42... looked like she was "out" from that..

a "tight" "MID" would allow her to quicken the last 4 to 6 steps making her more explosive at the take-off.. leading to more grip, a faster run AND a "mid" that starts to move out... but with more speed and expolsiveness..

"come out of the back... get your feet down (from mid in) and plant big..."

dj

dj
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby dj » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:27 pm

hye

just got back from the Region 3 Jr Olympics at Greensboro...

100% of the run through problems were from a bad 6 step "MID"... 100%

AND 90% had a 6 step "MID" that was to far out... that created ALL the issues, late plants, poor posture, no "jump" (impulse) at the takeoff, under, failure to "reach" up/extend at the takeoff... everything that their coaches were trying to fix.. and even the safety issues were caused by a run that was to far out at the 6 step “MID”…

I truly wish I knew how to help everyone on here understand and fix the run so the plant can be “Bubka” like.. because you cannot have a correct takeoff if the steps are “stretched”.. it is impossible.

dj

varska
PV Wannabe

Unread postby varska » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:19 am

I'm on board with this. Just to make sure I'm implementing it properly, if my vaulter is attempting a 13' bar, we want her holding around 12'10". Her 6 step mid should be around 42'3". So we set up a cone at that point and have her run back 8 strides (if she's going from 7 lefts)to get her start point. As a coach, I'm catching her step at the mid and then just observe the takeoff for problems rather than try to catch her takeoff.

Am I on track here? Would I be correct in thinking that 20/20 drills are going to help with the feel of getting her feet down?

dj
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby dj » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:52 pm

hye

sounds like you have it correct....

but i would suggest to not automatically raise the grip to jump 13'..

start with the grip they can "move" to vertical... match the "MID" (six step mark) to their current grip... as they get faster and get more technically sound the grip should go up and the "MID" should go out proportionally..

BUT you don’t have to move the “MID” each time you move the grip… always make sure they are “getting the feet down” (like the 20-20 drill.. good drill for this) before you move the run back..

Another word of caution that can up over the last three weeks of camps… never do pole runs with a “MID” that is more than one foot further out at the “MID” from your PR… as you get faster the “MID” on your pole runs will move out one foot at a time..

I just did a small “coaches” clinic… two of the coaches using my chart had done pole runs for their jumpers that were ¾ feet out at the “MID” because the athlete was very fast and could handle it on the track but was always “out of rhythm” on the runway and jumped below there potential.

Using the chart has to be progressive in nature… one of the most important “exercises” I do is to make every athlete jump 12 feet with a 12 foot grip and a 40 foot “MID”…

Depending on their level (PR way above 12 feet) they can use a 40 foot run, three step approach and a stiff pole… if 12 is near their PR they will run 6,7 or 8 lefts.. but have to use a 12 foot grip and 40 foot “MID”…

I know I’m talking “MID” on “failure to launch” but the run (from the first step) creates the technique and speed to follow…. Which has to be correct, if you are going to takeoff strong, with an impulse and confident.

dj

polevaulter811
PV Newbie
Expertise: current high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13 0
Favorite Vaulter: Steve Hooker

Unread postby polevaulter811 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:56 pm

Hello all. Does anyone have any tips to get through a spell of not being able to take off? I know that physically, my run is 100% on, im on a pole i can crush, (and have crushed in the past). Im positive that it is all mental, and before starting my run, im confident that i will take off, but approaching the end of the runway something tells me to bail. The problem is intensified if I am trying to jump on a bigger pole, even though i should be fine doing so. Maybe i need to change my mental approach? Or do something to get my confidence back? Or stop thinking altogether? I dont know if this matters but my PR is 14'6,I weight 150-155ish I'm on a 14 foot 175 for the most part with the standards buried, (ocassionally trying to transition to a 14 6 165 and 14 6 175 but with little success) and this has been a problem plauging my winter season. Any advice at all would be greatly appriciated.

dj
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby dj » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:00 pm

good morning,

tell me what your run is like.. lenght and 6 step MID..

grip etc...

thats a big pole for a 155 lb body ... have you posted video in the other thread.

my chart tells me you should be gripping 13-9 with a 46' six step "MID"... for a 14-6 vault..

where are you in relationship to those numbers..

dj

polevaulter811
PV Newbie

Unread postby polevaulter811 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:01 pm

On a 14 foot pole (gripping 13'9") my run is 14 steps, 7 lefts, with a length of about 93'6", more towards 94' in competition or when i am a little juiced up.
Last edited by polevaulter811 on Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

polevaulter811
PV Newbie

Unread postby polevaulter811 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:57 pm

Dj, could you please clarify how to get a starting point for a run of 7 lefts. I understand that my mid should be 46 feet, if i am holding 13 9, and im 6'1" tall. I guess my question is do you put tap down at 46 feet from the box, then run back an aditional 3 lefts to find a starting point for a 7 step approach? If so do you run those three steps as fast as possible, or as if you are starting your run and trying to accelerate. Im just a little confused after reading on this, and the mid mark thread. Im definitely eager to try this.

dj
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby dj » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:28 am

good morning,

then run back an aditional 3 lefts to find a starting point for a 7 step approach? If so do you run those three steps as fast as possible, or as if you are starting your run and trying to accelerate.

have you checked your six step "MID"? is it close to 46 on your good jumps?

you actually run back 4 lefts from the 6 step (3 left "MID") for a 7 left approach.. and yes by all means start your run as if you are accelerating to get as much speed as possible by the "MID"...

the first part of the run.. world wide has to change!!! stop the "bounding", prancing and over striding... Petrov himself said .. take the correct grip and go.. that acceleration has an "increment" value... increment value means faster each step..

the way the Jamaican is starting will keep him “screwed” up… no matter how fast he is…

we need to change this coaches!!!

that was for the rest of the advanced coaches and jumpers.. not you..

yes run back from your mid.. if you want to move to 8 lefts all you have to do is run back 5 lefts from your mid..

as you become faster your mid will go out, your grip will go up and you will vault higher..

good luck

dj

polevaulter811
PV Newbie

Unread postby polevaulter811 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:02 am

Thanks a bunch. I think the cause of my problem may he overstriding and being under and incorrectly moving back as you said in other threads. I'll be honest I have never used a mid before so i will try that the next time I jump and keep you posted on the outcome. Thanks again.

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”