New Mid Mark Chart

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Re: New Mid Mark Chart

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:13 pm

kcvault wrote:
Yeah I quickly realized after I posted really only the last 4 to 6 step length really matters. I still think everyone is putting to much emphasis on the chart being perfect. Everyone is different and need to determine this stuff on there own not just blindly follow a chart.

__Kasey

I think this is the punchline of the chart.

Kyle, i know what you are getting at with a shorter vaulter needing to run faster to roll over a higher grip, and thus his mid-to-take off length needs to be longer (covering more distance per time= speed). However, this assumes, like others said, that all vaulters have the same stride frequency. Although at an elite level it has been found that most sprinters have equal stride frequencies, and those that win are those with larger stride lengths, not everyone is an elite sprinter. I have seen 15'6" vaulters hit a 43' mid and he was 5'6", leaving the ground around 11'6" holding about 13'6". But his stride frequency was like barney rubble coming down the runway. The chart works well for the majority of vaulters, but its important to state some of these underlying assumptions and for coaches to understand the physics principles behind it, so they know when an athlete might be an acception to the rule. And also its important not to push a vaulter to change their natural run to achieve a certain stride length, but instead for a COACH to determine how high a vaulter can safely make pit given their speed AND stride length.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover
Expertise: former college vaulter, Current college coach
Lifetime Best: 5.26
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:42 pm

vault3rb0y wrote:
kcvault wrote:
Yeah I quickly realized after I posted really only the last 4 to 6 step length really matters. I still think everyone is putting to much emphasis on the chart being perfect. Everyone is different and need to determine this stuff on there own not just blindly follow a chart.

__Kasey

I think this is the punchline of the chart.

Kyle, i know what you are getting at with a shorter vaulter needing to run faster to roll over a higher grip, and thus his mid-to-take off length needs to be longer (covering more distance per time= speed). However, this assumes, like others said, that all vaulters have the same stride frequency. Although at an elite level it has been found that most sprinters have equal stride frequencies, and those that win are those with larger stride lengths, not everyone is an elite sprinter. I have seen 15'6" vaulters hit a 43' mid and he was 5'6", leaving the ground around 11'6" holding about 13'6". But his stride frequency was like barney rubble coming down the runway. The chart works well for the majority of vaulters, but its important to state some of these underlying assumptions and for coaches to understand the physics principles behind it, so they know when an athlete might be an acception to the rule. And also its important not to push a vaulter to change their natural run to achieve a certain stride length, but instead for a COACH to determine how high a vaulter can safely make pit given their speed AND stride length.

I don't know if i follow 100%, are you saying the chart won't work for some because of incorrect running technique? If so I completely agree. Incorrect posture, acceleration patterns, pole carry, pole drop, plant pattern, etc etc will have an affect on stride length... I know for certain that if a kid has the pole still at 45 degrees 3 steps out there strides will be much further than if the pole had the pole at parallel.... And the longer strides don't = more speed; the opposite though that the vaulter is slowing down. I am not saying use this chart it is perfect, but from what I have seen with my own experiences it is extremely accurate!! Can be a great tool, if you don't like it then :crying: ... Lol, it can't make anyone vault worse. I would be willing to bet that if it is off maybe you should look at your technique of running with pole and planting the pole.
On a whole new level 6-20-09

kcvault
PV Pro
Expertise: College vaulter, post collegiate vaulter, BA kinesiology,
Lifetime Best: 5.40m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Annie Burlingham

Unread postby kcvault » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:31 am

So the mid was about right, takeoff was under... 37 mid shows taking off at 12'1. So either your were overstriding a bit, or you can carry a longer mid + a higher grip.... What do you think??

First day at five lefts I think I am just overstriding we will see what it is monday.

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”