chest penetration?

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Re: chest penetration?

Unread postby dj » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:21 am

good morning

chest penetration should be the result of a correct takeoff... the "amount" or correct chest penetration will be determined by the full extension of the arms, how far out your takeoff is - combined with the 'speed" at takeoff, the size of pole and the grip to force at the point of "takeoff" (non support to support)

hope i covered all the points, maybe not..

i think everyone knows i teach the vault as simply as possible.. RUN...PLANT....SWING

of course you have to run correctly, plant correctly and swing correctly (or as fast as possible "behind" the pole)

part of a correct takeoff/plant is to extend the arms as high as possible and let the chest go through.. as Earl once said "stick your nose under your left arm pit".

simply it is the result of the correct plant/takeoff and "follow through" from the correct "application of force."

dj

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:04 pm

vault3rb0y wrote: Pole drop, plant, take off step, hand movement, chest penetration, finishing of the take off, knee drive, "holding the drive", etc.... all boils down to those two factors. ...

"Holding the drive" is a very common mistake. I made it my entire Sr. year, thinking it was good ... but it was actually BAD!

Just because you penetrate your chest doesn't mean you have to hold it there. The 2 are mutually exclusive. Penetrate, then IMMEDIATELY pop back into your swing. "Holding the drive" is a passive action, whereas penetrating and then immediately popping back is not passive at all ... it's part of the continuous chain of motion ... forwards and upwards. There's no time to pause by "holding the drive". Every millisecond counts! Every millisecond of ACTIVE work on the pole adds millimeters to your clearance height. These millimeters add up to centimeters and decameters.

Agapit does NOT recommend chest penetration in his 6.40 Model. However, with all due respect to Agapit, I think vaulters in the 4.00-6.00m range ... that follow the Petrov Model ... need to penetrate with their chest before they swing.

But if you think you need to HOLD your drive to get better pole rotation, then you're on too big of a pole.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:20 pm

KirkB wrote:"Holding the drive" is a very common mistake. I made it my entire Sr. year, thinking it was good ... but it was actually BAD!

Just because you penetrate your chest doesn't mean you have to hold it there. The 2 are mutually exclusive. Penetrate, then IMMEDIATELY pop back into your swing. "Holding the drive" is a passive action, whereas penetrating and then immediately popping back is not passive at all ... it's part of the continuous chain of motion ... forwards and upwards. There's no time to pause by "holding the drive". Every millisecond counts! Every millisecond of ACTIVE work on the pole adds millimeters to your clearance height. These millimeters add up to centimeters and decameters.

Agapit does NOT recommend chest penetration in his 6.40 Model. However, with all due respect to Agapit, I think vaulters in the 4.00-6.00m range ... that follow the Petrov Model ... need to penetrate with their chest before they swing.

But if you think you need to HOLD your drive to get better pole rotation, then you're on too big of a pole.

Kirk

i agree 100%.... hence the next sentence after that where i said
The key is to disseminate what things are a result of the others, and whether focusing on one (ie holding the drive) might be the wrong mindset for vaulting high.

;)

My only correction would be to say "focusing on holding the drive IS the wrong focus for vaulting high".
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”