The Bryde Bend (Jump to the Split)

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: The Bryde Bend (Jump to the Split)

Unread postby KirkB » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:27 am

Well, don't just take my word for it. Remember the quote from Rick Baggett. Vaulting is a complex psychomotor skill that you learn PROGRESSIVELY. Some learn faster than others, depending on their natural "talent" and previous sports experience.

baggettpv wrote:The technique learning will be based on the physical development.

Gym, short run, long run.

I'm not saying it can't work in reverse if your short runs suck ... or if your rings and highbar suck. :D

I'm just saying that if you do it in that order, you're doing it the hard way! :no:

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:06 am

This didn't quite explain my entire short run vault ...
The sensation I got in my 9-step vault (in both 1971 and 1972) was that of accelerating into the takeoff, JUMPING extremely hard into the Split, lifting up my trail leg BACKWARDS/UPWARDS for just a split second, then IMMEDIATELY BRINGING it forwards again. ABSOLUTELY NO PAUSE!!!

I HAD to do it that way, because there was NO TIME to pause in the Split (with chest driven forwards), and no time to pause with my trail leg raised backwards/upwards. With the lower grip and less takeoff speed (due to the shorter run), I had no choice but to do everything quicker, WITH NO PASSIVE pauses during the Jump to the Split.

And because of my extremely quick swing (initiated by lifting/stretching my trail leg back/up), I got inverted very early and very quickly. I remember a "sinking sensation" when this happened, where my shoulders seemed to drop. I know they didn't actually drop. I know that my hips were continually rising, so it just SEEMED like my shoulders were dropping. But just like I tried to [and was unable to eloquently] describe my Standing Shoot-to-a-Handstand Drill on the highbar, I couldn't tell you EXACTLY what I was doing during that "sinking sensation". All I know is that it felt very much like the "no-man's land" of the Standing Shoot-to-a-Handstand - everything happened so quickly. It had to! No passive actions!

Another sensation that I felt - immediately following the "sinking sensation", and right thru to the fully-extended "I" position - was a feeling of "Get back! Get back! Get back!" This was the thought that I had as I was inverting and extending.

It wasn't an ENGLISH thought, as that would have taken too long to think. It was more like the thought of a ratchet or drum roll - as I was "telling myself" to get back more and more. Just like musicians don't think their muscial notes in English, I didn't think my "rhythm" in English. Instead, I FELT it. :yes:

By "Get back", what I mean is that I needed to CONTINUE my swing/inversion/extension to PAST vertical. Well, first to vertical, and then keep going back ... and back ... and back. If I didn't tell myself to do this, I'd get too far under the bar, and hit it on my way up - no matter how far back I set the standards.

I was quickly rising, and the bar was quickly getting closer and closer. There was no time to waste!

Really, by thinking this way, and by taking action on those thoughts, I was able to NOT PAUSE OR SLOW DOWN at all during the extension. What I mean is that in some of my 1972 vaults, I bent the pole so damn much that during its recoil, I had all the time in the world to extend in unison with it.

Now, on its own, this doesn't sound like a bad thing. You WANT to extend in unison with the pole. But the thing is, a very slow recoil, where your extension becomes "slow motion", is actually a PASSIVE action.

"Passive" doesn't just mean an isometric position that you hold. It can also mean a very slow motion that you're performing. Any "slow motion" movement - any action that can be done faster - smells just like a PASSIVE action. Just maybe not QUITE as bad. But PASSIVE non-the-less.

Without even understanding the difference between PASSIVE and ACTIVE at the time, I felt intuitively that I had little or no time to complete all my various vault parts, so by necessity, they were all ACTIVE! :yes:

Well, on my short runs and pre-June/1971 competition vaults, that is! :D

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:31 am

Kirk, you need to get yourself back in shape and get jumping in some masters meets :) You're doing way too much thinking to not be doing it!

Pogo Stick
PV Pro
Expertise: Former "College" Vaulter, Masters Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.70/15'5
Favorite Vaulter: Władysław Kozakiewicz

Unread postby Pogo Stick » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:01 am

rainbowgirl28 wrote:Kirk, you need to get yourself back in shape and get jumping in some masters meets :) You're doing way too much thinking to not be doing it!

I've tried to persuade him. He has pretty strong arguments, but I have a plan. O:-)
-- Pogo

"It is not necessary to change. Survival is not mandatory." W. Edwards Deming

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:16 am

The mind is willing, but the body just isn't cooperating! :D

Kirk

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:14 am

KirkB wrote:The mind is willing, but the body just isn't cooperating! :D

Kirk

Hey no excuses!! You should have at least the next 30 years to fix whatever isn't working :P

VTechVaulter
PV Lover
Expertise: Current Elite Vaulter, College Volunteer Coach, HUGE FAN

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:46 pm

KirkB wrote:The mind is willing, but the body just isn't cooperating! :D

Kirk

you know i feel that exact same way everytime i try to make changes to my vault!. haha
Brian Mondschein
Philadelphia Jumps Club, Coach and Co-Founder
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:45 am

I've now described my short run vault.

My next post - coming in the next few days - will describe my 1971 Pac-8 Championships vaulting technique, which was without a doubt the highlight of my PV career. As such, it's the "reference meet" for my Bryde Technique (Jump to the Split), and the one where I most closely followed (whoops, I mean preceded!) the Petrov Model.

3. Compare my short run vault to my competition (long run) vault.

4. Describe where I made mistakes in my vaulting technique and/or training regimen.

Then I'll move on to #3 and #4.

Kirk

volteur
PV Pro

Unread postby volteur » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:13 pm

KirkB wrote:I've now described my short run vault.

My next post - coming in the next few days - will describe my 1971 Pac-8 Championships vaulting technique, which was without a doubt the highlight of my PV career. As such, it's the "reference meet" for my Bryde Technique (Jump to the Split), and the one where I most closely followed (whoops, I mean preceded!) the Petrov Model.

3. Compare my short run vault to my competition (long run) vault.

4. Describe where I made mistakes in my vaulting technique and/or training regimen.

Then I'll move on to #3 and #4.

Kirk

are you being antagonistic here Kirk?

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:24 pm

No, just truthful. How could I possibly FOLLOW the Petrov Model in 1971?

KIrk

volteur
PV Pro

Unread postby volteur » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:37 pm

but how can you precede it when you don't know what it is

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:10 pm

volteur wrote: but how can you precede it when you don't know what it is

V, you provoke a deeper question.

As always, you are welcome to express your opinion about it ... either now or later.

Peace! :rose:

Kirk

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”