taking off under

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
tomiska
PV Newbie

taking off under

Unread postby tomiska » Fri May 30, 2008 3:25 pm

sorry if there is another topic about this, but I couldn't find it. So the question is: Why is it that the longer my approach, the more my take off is under. It doesn't matter if i go back a bit, it's under the same amount.
My PR is 5m and if I could figure this out I could clear 520 wich means a scholarship for me, so I really need this.
help me pls
Thanks
(if there's another topic please send me a link to it)
One of the few hungarian pole vaulters!!
PR: 5.10m

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Fri May 30, 2008 3:38 pm

You are probably overstriding from the shorter approach but can compensate a bit for it. Moving back makes you overstride even more. Look up dj's mid chart. it shouldn't be hard to find. It'll serve as a great guide for fixing your run.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Unread postby VaultPurple » Fri May 30, 2008 3:48 pm

i found i have the same problem when i move my grip up because i am used to taking off at a certain spot. So even if i move back do compensate for moving my hands up, i naturaly jump from the same spot. So i sometimes find the spot i need to take off form and put a bottle or something visiable there so i can try to take off from that point.

tomiska
PV Newbie

Unread postby tomiska » Fri May 30, 2008 3:48 pm

thanks, I've seen the MID chart, but I don't really understand it.
Is there any explanation available?
One of the few hungarian pole vaulters!!

PR: 5.10m

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Unread postby VaultPurple » Fri May 30, 2008 3:49 pm

i found i have the same problem when i move my grip up because i am used to taking off at a certain spot. So even if i move back do compensate for moving my hands up, i naturaly jump from the same spot. So i sometimes find the spot i need to take off form and put a bottle or something visiable there so i can try to take off from that point.

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Fri May 30, 2008 5:53 pm

Read the whole mid mark thread, and pm dj if you still don't understand. That's probably your best bet.
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”