Routine?

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
bushy_12
PV Nerd

Routine?

Unread postby bushy_12 » Fri May 02, 2008 7:01 am

Do you all have a set routine that you do before you jump (stretches, warm ups)? I seem to do something different every time I jump.

What is your routine

OH-IOvaulter
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former High School Vaulter, Former College Vaulter, Former High School Coach
Favorite Vaulter: Mondo Duplantis: 8yrs/9ft!!

Unread postby OH-IOvaulter » Fri May 02, 2008 8:35 am

Sooo many athletes fail to warm up properly.
Before Vaulting my kids:
Run their warm up of 2 laps and 2 more laps of surging on the straights and walking the turns.
Stretch out completely
Skips and Form Runs to work on sprinting form
100 yards of 3 step drills
100 yards of 5 step drills
Then into on Runway stuff:
10 3's and 10 5's into the pit (if time allows, if it doesn't: 5)
A run through to check steps
Pop ups (if time permits)
Full vaults on increasing size poles

Hopefully that helps
What is nice about this sport is that I am responsible for most everything.
-Sergei Bubka

Lax PV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former HS and college vaulter, college and HS level coaching, CSCS certified
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Tarasov

Unread postby Lax PV » Fri May 02, 2008 1:54 pm

No static stretching before hand... there has been plenty of published papers regarding the effects of static stretching on power based movements. Dynamic stretching (A-skips, B-skips, high knees, lunges, squats...) lend to a much better full body warm up, and have produced much better results inside, and outside of the lab.

With that said, as long as you are warm, and it came from moving around--stretching doesn't do half of what movement does on a physioloical scale--I think you're good. Me personally I do some accels, first couple really slow, then getting faster, then some dynamic stretching, sprint drills, couple pop ups, and then some short approach vaulting (i.e. full jumps from maybe 3 lefts). One I am feeling good then, I go back and crank it up.

My method is obviously not the only one, but dynamic vs. static has been verified time and time again.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri May 02, 2008 2:03 pm

I have a lot of high school vaulters, something like 8 girls and 6 boys, so when we go to meets we can't afford to take a whole lot of jumps on the runway.

To warmup, I like them to do 2 laps, leg swings, sprint drills, 2 buildups, then they put their spikes on, do 3 pole runs, then get on their runway from their long run. Their first jump they just plant, no swing, then from there we make adjustments as needed. Ideally I like them to get about 3-5 trips down the runway and be ready to go.

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Fri May 02, 2008 5:33 pm

After warm up laps, a few plant drills and dynamics, I'll usually try to do 5 or 6 long swings on a toothpick pole from 3 steps. Then I'll go from 3 carrying the pole over my shoulder and just plant, jump, and hold a couple of times, 3 or 4ish. Then I'll go back to my full run and get 2-3 full vaults if I feel good with my step, if not then I'll take a couple more. I think there's a good article on neovault about warm ups before vaulting, you should check it out.
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Fri May 02, 2008 10:20 pm

Maybe im not doing it right, but i find i warm up quicker with build ups than i do by jogging or striding 2 laps. I will jog for maybe 1:30 then build up to full turn over. I do some leg swings and then do some sprints into the pit. Then do some pole drops and pop ups, maybe 1 or 2 pole runs, then start with short runs. Eventually go back to long run.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

bushy_12
PV Nerd

Unread postby bushy_12 » Sat May 03, 2008 11:34 am

What are the differences between static and dynamic? Examples?

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Sat May 03, 2008 2:10 pm

Static involves holding a position, like bending over to touch your toes and holding for ten seconds. Dynamic involves motion and helps warm up the SSC (stretch shortening cycle), and this would include A-skips, hand walks, various kicking drills, etc.

txpolevaulter_k25
PV Follower
Expertise: Current college decathlete
Lifetime Best: 15'

Unread postby txpolevaulter_k25 » Sat May 03, 2008 6:13 pm

static stretching relaxes your muscles, causing you to run a little slower, and no preform as well. That is why you should always do build ups and other dynamic stretches.
"Bravery is the ability to get the job done when you are scared to death."

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Sat May 03, 2008 6:42 pm

http://www.sjsu.edu/at/docs/FWATApresentation2007Stretching.pdf

Check out that first short-term effect on page 15. ;)

decanuck
PV Whiz

Unread postby decanuck » Tue May 06, 2008 5:01 am

OH-IOvaulter wrote:Sooo many athletes fail to warm up properly.
Before Vaulting my kids:
Run their warm up of 2 laps and 2 more laps of surging on the straights and walking the turns.
Stretch out completely
Skips and Form Runs to work on sprinting form
100 yards of 3 step drills
100 yards of 5 step drills
Then into on Runway stuff:
10 3's and 10 5's into the pit (if time allows, if it doesn't: 5)
A run through to check steps
Pop ups (if time permits)
Full vaults on increasing size poles

Hopefully that helps

I don't mean to nit-pick and if my comments are unwelcome I apologize, but I feel I'd be doing you a disservice if I didn't say two things:

First, the "stretch out completely" part should be dynamic only (which it may very well be, after all I have no idea what that term means to you) for reasons already discussed in this thread. Here's an another article that summarizes the differences in a more simple, less technical way:
<link>

Second, that is quite a lot of volume for a warm up! Unless it's a practice and some of those drills are being done for their own sake, I would say half of that warm up is more than sufficient. Remember, speed and power athletes need much less warm-up time than their long-distance counterparts. Performance will be more closely related to an athlete's activation of their nervous system before a competition than it is to their getting all their muscles warm and loose.

OH-IOvaulter
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former High School Vaulter, Former College Vaulter, Former High School Coach
Favorite Vaulter: Mondo Duplantis: 8yrs/9ft!!

Unread postby OH-IOvaulter » Tue May 06, 2008 9:33 am

I suppose I should have mentioned that the above suggestion is before practices. I agree with the information and physiological dimensions of static vs. dynamic stretching but after sitting down and talking to my head coach about it, I not only see but agree with his point of view that from a coaching stand point it gives the entire boys team a chance to come together as a team, even if it is for only 20 minutes. I run with my vaulters separate from the rest of team, we lift apart from the team, and although we score a crap load of points for the team, I only have one multi event athlete and not a lot of the rest of the team watches nor cares much about the vault. So if sacrificing a little bit of time and staying later at practice so the team has a little bit more cohesion, I'm more than willing to do so. But no decanuck, thats the point of the forum, for discussion and comments, they are always welcome as long as they are meant with good intentions to make kids vault higher while staying safe :yes:
What is nice about this sport is that I am responsible for most everything.

-Sergei Bubka

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”