Bubka's Energy transfer

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Bubka's Energy transfer

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:21 pm

I read somewhere a while back that bubka was the only athlete at a certain competition (i believe the olympics, but am unsure) that was calculated to have added more energy into the pole than he lost after his take off. Thus proving that you can continue to add energy into the vault after take off with an effective swing. I am working on a very basic high school physics project, and I am proving very simply that "many aspects affect how high you vault, and simply your hieght and speed are innacurate measures of your maximum vault hieght". If anyone has a hard reference to that study, or can at least verify that bubka added more energy with his swing than he lost after take off, i can just use a reference to this post (My physics teacher accepts my over-achieving attitude). Maybe let me know how fast (m/s) and how tall bubka was, and i can show that he defies the calculation of "maximum vault hieght".
Thanks!
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

spike gibeault
PV Pro

Unread postby spike gibeault » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:04 pm

he was 183cm tall and he ran 9.94(m/sec) in the last 5m of his approach

http://www.polevaultpower.com/6mclub.php
"My biggest fear is my lack of fear."-Mat Hoffman

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:18 pm

Thanks man. If anyones interested, im disproving this websites estimate.

http://www.aip.org/png/html/polevault.html

plug in 22.235 miles per hour and 6feet tall.

Obviously its a flawed formula, but i would guess it is actually calculating the highest you can hold if that speed is converted into gravitational potential energy. Absolutely no reference to energy transfer from the swing! :no:

spike gibeault
PV Pro

Unread postby spike gibeault » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:31 pm

i would be interested to see how fast joe dial ran in mph, that too might disprove this

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:46 pm

If you find it in m/s i can figure it out pretty quickly. M/S X 3600/1609 Also, i noticed with that conversion that a 5'9" vaulter running 9.5m/s is supposidly only able to vault 17'6". Im 99% sure that joe dial could run right around that speed, but jumped over 1.5 feet more! Thats cool. I guess we should all plug in our stats and make it our goal to beat the computer! I wish i knew my m/s. I plugged in 9m/s and apparently since im 5'9", if i run 9m/s i can only vault 16'6"!

spike gibeault
PV Pro

Unread postby spike gibeault » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:49 pm

joe dial was 5'8" i know that, i will look around for his speed though

spike gibeault
PV Pro

Unread postby spike gibeault » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:35 pm

this "calculator" also says that i should have a 36" vertical leap but entering a speed of 0

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:33 am

3po see page 44 BTB2. :idea: :yes:
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

Tim McMichael
PV Master
Expertise: Current college and private coach. Former elite vaulter.

Unread postby Tim McMichael » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:02 am

My max speed at takeoff was around 9.5. Joe was somewhere around 9.8. He had serious wheels. My max grip was 15'5" on a 16'1" 16.8, weighing 140 when I jumped 18'6". He griped 15'11" on a 17'4" 14.8 weighing 150 when he set his last AR at 19'7". We are both 5'8".

As a side note, Carl Lewis ran around 14 meters per second at top speed.

HHSPVCoach
PV Nerd
Expertise: Former HS and college vaulter, now HS and college coach
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka, duh!

Unread postby HHSPVCoach » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:12 pm

3PO,

Keep in mind that this website is showing a simple transfer of energy from kinetic energy to potential energy assuming a 100% efficient system. Obviously there are many, many other factors involved in how high one can vault. But one thing that can be shown from these formula is basically, the faster you run, the higher you can (theoretically) vault! :-)

Coach Phil
(also BSME)

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:12 pm

"the faster you run the higher you can jump" - Pleased you added the (theoretically) because the above fact -and it is a fact - can also be - and I believe often is - a trap for talented young vaulters and their coaches, especially in the USA where this correlation between run up speed and performance is continually pushed to the fore. It can get in the way of serious consideration of the importance of a continuous chain of energy input -ie effective technique at and after take off.

In BTB2 I said - and I believe it to be true "Run up speed is a necessary but not a sufficient determinant of the height jumped" and
" The critical question is how much speed does any given athlete need to fulfill their potential" As Bubka said in Jamaica "The important thing is how much of your speed and strength you can use while actually jumping. Somebody can run 100 metres in 11 seconds, but if he does the proper movements, in the exact moment, he can jump very high.

I go on to state "These data (from Table 3 on page 210) suggest that it would be possible for a male vaulter with 11.4 one hundred metre speed to make an Olympic mens vault final while someone who could manage 10.9 could break the American record!" :yes:
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:43 pm

Vault3rb0y

print the 20-4 vault from the 20 foot thread and use that with you paper.. that is a 20-4 vault based on the physics of the event..

energy in and energy out..

generally you can count the frames to see how much acceleration there was after max bend...

also lonestar posted some numbers of tim and toby that showed tim with some pretty good increase in energy.....

and

maurice green ran .85 seconds for two of the 10 meter segments of his then world record of 9.86...

that's 11.76ish meters per second...

dj
Come out of the back... Get your feet down... Plant big

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”