Key Factors

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
bel142
PV Pro
Expertise: Open Post Collegiate, Collegiate Coach, BS - Kinesiology, MEd - Advanced Level Coaching

Unread postby bel142 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:41 am

“You shouldn't really TRY to change anything about your vault as you move up poles…â€

BethelPV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post Collegiate Vaulter, High School Coach
Favorite Vaulter: Billy Olson

Unread postby BethelPV » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:28 am

I think what he is saying is that you shouldn't try and push any harder, because then you will get yourself into trouble. If you stay relaxed and jump the way you normally you do, and you wait until you are blowing through the smaller pole, the transition should be a very easy one. If you try and push too hard and get all excited because you are moving to a bigger pole, your going to get yourself into trouble and possibly hurt...
Vault with a purpose... Vault for God!!

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:06 pm

He should be actively trying to improve his take -as every vaulter should every time they train!!!!! Use the six step take off test with a stiff pole outlined in BTB to assess your present take off efficiency and then continually try to push your grip up. :yes:
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:29 am

They just have to remember to stay in control and not get completely crazy.
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

Lefty
PV Newbie

Unread postby Lefty » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:27 pm

BethelPV explained what I meant well.

If you try to run super fast and plant super hard in order to get on the bigger pole, you will end up out of control and under (neither of which will help you get into the pit!).

In response to bel142's comment: "I am actively trying to 'change' my vault especially when I’m going up poles to fix the timing and plant." I will say the following:

My philosophy is to make the changes while on the smaller pole, and if they are effective, they will cause you to blow through, signifying that you are ready for the bigger pole. Then once you gain some confidence on the bigger pole you can begin to work on changing your vault again.
Potential > ∞

BRANDT
PV Beginner

Unread postby BRANDT » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:04 pm

Thanks for the good discussion on this topic guys. Seems like I should just make sure I'm vaulting correctly and that will allow my pole transitions to happen. It looks like a tall takeoff while being on my mark for takeoff and getting that smooth swing phase is what I need.

AeroVault
PV Nerd
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 4.95m

Unread postby AeroVault » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:32 pm

BRANDT wrote:Thanks for the good discussion on this topic guys. Seems like I should just make sure I'm vaulting correctly and that will allow my pole transitions to happen. It looks like a tall takeoff while being on my mark for takeoff and getting that smooth swing phase is what I need.

One of the best posts I've seen in a while. Good luck transitioning to the bigger poles! :D

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:20 pm

BRANDT wrote: Seems like I should just make sure I'm vaulting correctly and that will allow my pole transitions to happen. It looks like a tall takeoff while being on my mark for takeoff and getting that smooth swing phase is what I need.

:yes:

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”