Waiting to swing at take off

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
RPVA03
PV Fan
Expertise: Former High School and College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach

Waiting to swing at take off

Unread postby RPVA03 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:31 pm

I have always been taught to delay in the C position at take off and wait a split second before I swing. Is this idea correct? As I think about the continuous chain model, I realize that this delay may be a passive part of the vault. I have read through some of the discussions on this site on the issue and I still cannot figure it out. Should a vaulter wait in the C position for a second before they initiate the swing, or should they swing right away?

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:35 pm

After FINISHING the take off with a complete extension of the leg and ankle the vaulter should immediately begin the whip/swing. Problem is that with a great take off like Bubka usually managed, there APPEARS to be a delay but this is an optical illusion caused by the fact that the Cpole is rapidly shortening so that the hands are rapidly moving away from the take off foot, which seems to be left behind -and so delayed :idea: :yes:

Also I suggest you stop thinking of the C position!! it is counterproductive. However I like your use of the notion of PASSIVE phases . That concept - developed by Botcharnikov - is critical to understanding efficient vault technique. :yes:
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

RPVA03
PV Fan
Expertise: Former High School and College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach

Unread postby RPVA03 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:14 pm

Thanks, that makes a lot more sense. Why should you not refer to it as a C position? Why is that counterproductive? Can you explain?

BethelPV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post Collegiate Vaulter, High School Coach
Favorite Vaulter: Billy Olson

Unread postby BethelPV » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:23 pm

Because its not about hitting certain positions like a C, its about driving your chest forward to stretch the body at takeoff, which allows for the whip to happen...

WHen you start talking about hitting certain positions, that leads to pauses in the jump, which leads to less efficiency. Rather if you focus on driving your chest and finishing your takeoff and pre-stretch, you will notice that your body does resemble a C without even trying. The only difference is you wont hold that position, but rather swing right out of it and up the pole...
Vault with a purpose... Vault for God!!

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:55 pm

Right on! :yes: :idea:

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:05 pm

So if I understand correctly, it's not bad too know what it is for video analysis, but it is bad to think about during the vault, because it causes a passive-phase mindset... right?
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:39 pm

Yes indeedy. A passive mind set is a no no. And it is better to look at other issues when doing video analysis - just get the notion of a C position out of your mind. :yes:

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:41 pm

I dont know if this might help you, but as a vaulter in your situation i always try to think of the vault in terms of adding energy. I always think about hitting everything as hard and as tall as i can, with every action i do once my take off foot hits the ground to be going "up". It might help to tell yourself before your jump to "jumpswingpull". I try to do that as fast and as hard as I can, and let my coach make the adjustments. No point in the jump should be spent doing nothing. Just some thoughts :).
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

lonestar
PV Lover

Re: Waiting to swing at take off

Unread postby lonestar » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:34 am

RPVA03 wrote:I have always been taught to delay in the C position at take off and wait a split second before I swing. Is this idea correct?

Also known as "driving the bottom," and no, it is not correct. See the Texas Pole Vault Manifesto for further reference.

What is correct is to "finish the takeoff" by pushing your takeoff foot back behind you as hard, fast, and far as you can and immediately using that stretch reflex to whip (as Alan likes to say) or swing it through as fast, hard, and high over your head as possible. It's a split-second moment in time that you never try to hold. The harder you push off the last step, the faster you'll swing. See the Oklahoma Manifesto to hear Tim McMichael accurately describe that concept.
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”