Bottom Arm Technique

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:20 pm

Way off topic. But i will take it, and i plan on doing well. But yes, it does still suck.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

fchipr
PV Fan

AL pre jump drills

Unread postby fchipr » Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:50 pm

What are the mechanics/physics benifits of that lead knee heel up against theham or glute? Are we trying to shorten radius dynamics to facilitate better rockback?

I always experienced that if I witnessed that kind of bent knee with the lead knee (even if nice and high) that it was indeed an indicator of the poor mechanical sprint technique going on throughout the run up (strike angle of knee/foot). No?

thanx smart guys. just trying to learn more

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:40 am

Are you referring to my avatar or the pictures posted by altius?

Im sure he can explain better than i can, but all i know is this:

One aspect of proper sprint mechanics involves knee lift to bring your thigh parallel with the ground. You can do this by raising your dorsoflexed ankle up to your quad like i do, or with not as much knee flexion. I always felt that when my ankle did not come almost up and "over" my knee, that i was "throwing" the bottom half of my leg forward. This may be ideal for the elite 100m sprinter, who does not actually even bring his thighs to parallel when accelerating, but for the last 6 steps in vaulting i am under the assumption it is not technically desirable to be maximizing the angle of your knee. So in my picture, my ankle comes up and around my knee as i leave the ground, rather than being thrown forward. I feel that this allows better take off angle and follows with my sprint mechanics as you mentioned. However if you follow the rest of my jump, my knee does release and allow about a 90 degree angle as i begin my swing.

Maybe theres another reason for it, but thats how i see it :P.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”