Why the plant is late?

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.

My plant is late because

My arms are moving pole too slow forward
18%
I have no idea
6%
I begin my pole drop too late
76%

Total votes: 49

BlueGoldPolevaulter167
PV Newbie

Unread postby BlueGoldPolevaulter167 » Thu May 15, 2008 7:47 am

DJ, thanks for explaining the theory. I helped me understand it better.
my current PR: 9'6" (almost 10') (as of 5-6-08)

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Sun May 18, 2008 9:51 pm

dj wrote:hey

the "MID" chart numbers fit everyone at every level.........

How about V. Chistiakov 6'6" tall and Scott Huffman 5'7" tall???

Do they have the same cadence?

LOL
there is no spoon... www.m640.com

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Sun May 18, 2008 9:55 pm

Lol it must be difficult repeating yourself so much for the sake of Americans in the search of quick and easy answers.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Sun May 18, 2008 10:01 pm

vault3rb0y wrote:Lol it must be difficult repeating yourself so much for the sake of Americans in the search of quick and easy answers.

No need to bring nationalism here. I love America! Sorry for the comment.

OH-IOvaulter
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former High School Vaulter, Former College Vaulter, Former High School Coach
Favorite Vaulter: Mondo Duplantis: 8yrs/9ft!!

Unread postby OH-IOvaulter » Sun May 18, 2008 10:38 pm

I must begin by saying that dj spent a decent amount of time through PMs trying to help me understand this. Yet, I've been having trouble employing the chart with undeniably favorable results. I am from a scientific background, and although new to coaching (5 years now) have been around the sport for a long time and have been a student of it since I was a vaulter in high school. What I have been having trouble doing is matching my students to their so called MIDs. I'd like to introduce a case study of sorts for all to comment upon. I coach a wonderful young athlete, sophomore boy, 5'3" 122 lbs. His current PR is 14'2" (which was done in our not so great Ohio weather and should be 14'6" soon in nice weather). This was done from a 6 left approach and a grip height of 13'. Considering box depth thats nearly a two foot push, pretty amazing all things considered. But what I must say is that I have had more success in finding an average MID for him based on a run on the track with a pole carry and just converting it over to the runway. Just a statement, but anyone's thoughts are welcome.
What is nice about this sport is that I am responsible for most everything.
-Sergei Bubka

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Sun May 18, 2008 11:11 pm

OH-IOvaulter wrote:I must begin by saying that dj spent a decent amount of time through PMs trying to help me understand this. Yet, I've been having trouble employing the chart with undeniably favorable results. I am from a scientific background, and although new to coaching (5 years now) have been around the sport for a long time and have been a student of it since I was a vaulter in high school. What I have been having trouble doing is matching my students to their so called MIDs. I'd like to introduce a case study of sorts for all to comment upon. I coach a wonderful young athlete, sophomore boy, 5'3" 122 lbs. His current PR is 14'2" (which was done in our not so great Ohio weather and should be 14'6" soon in nice weather). This was done from a 6 left approach and a grip height of 13'. Considering box depth thats nearly a two foot push, pretty amazing all things considered. But what I must say is that I have had more success in finding an average MID for him based on a run on the track with a pole carry and just converting it over to the runway. Just a statement, but anyone's thoughts are welcome.

I personally use mid mark as a tool to correctly identify whether the beginning of the run up(before the plant begins) was consistent. And yes we transfer the mid from the full sprint with plant and jump exercises on the track.

On the track, without the box, there are no significant interruptions to performing the plant and jump correctly. That mid-mark has a very good correlation to the real mid with experience vaulter. However, novices would have a bigger deviation.

P.S. I am not dogging dj mid mark chart. I just think that this is a one in a thousand exercises one may do to increase the “personal library of movement “. It is, in my opinion, not a panacea to becoming a great vaulter nor having the key to the modern understanding of the vault.

OH-IOvaulter
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former High School Vaulter, Former College Vaulter, Former High School Coach

Unread postby OH-IOvaulter » Sun May 18, 2008 11:32 pm

If I may ask a question about it I'd like to bring in a bit of minutia from your Manifesto thread, as it would affect the timing of the plant. If the last 3 left strides of a run are covered in approximately 1.5 seconds and if a pole tip allowed to drop from vertical also takes approximately 1.5 seconds to hit the ground, would the goal of the left hand during those 3 lefts be to merely guide the pole into the box and provide "zero lift" till the time in which the right hand raises the pole to parallel? It seems if an athlete is taught that they are allowing the pole to fall during the last x number of steps as opposed to being responsible for carrying the pole, then less late plants result. Is that making any sense?

-Sergei Bubka

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Sun May 18, 2008 11:43 pm

OH-IOvaulter wrote:If I may ask a question about it I'd like to bring in a bit of minutia from your Manifesto thread, as it would affect the timing of the plant. If the last 3 left strides of a run are covered in approximately 1.5 seconds and if a pole tip allowed to drop from vertical also takes approximately 1.5 seconds to hit the ground, would the goal of the left hand during those 3 lefts be to merely guide the pole into the box and provide "zero lift" till the time in which the right hand raises the pole to parallel? It seems if an athlete is taught that they are allowing the pole to fall during the last x number of steps as opposed to being responsible for carrying the pole, then less late plants result. Is that making any sense?

We have built our plan imitations around the idea that the left arm is guiding the pole into the box and simply extends along THE STREIGHT LINE from the pole carry position into the position at the end of the plant (when take-off foot first touches the ground). One simple uncomplicated movement of the left arm while pole rotating around the left wrist.

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Mon May 19, 2008 12:00 am

hye

it's a coaching tool.. an extremely good one because it can help bring out the correct physics...

Since I believe that stride length is created by applying force to the surface by cutting down the ground time and not by the length of the in-seam… yes I feel their “MIDâ€
Come out of the back... Get your feet down... Plant big

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Mon May 19, 2008 12:17 am

[quote="dj"]… yes I feel their “MIDâ€

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Mon May 19, 2008 1:15 am

Roman

I have never questions your knowledge or background..

All I have tried to do is help everyone get the correct, fast, natural run…

In 100m sprint, due to natural selection and really much simpler model of the event as compared with the pole vault, the natural frequencies of the 100m top runners are expected to be much closer to each other than in pole vault.

I don’t think natural selection has anything to do with the physics of “speedâ€
Come out of the back... Get your feet down... Plant big

OH-IOvaulter
PV Whiz

Unread postby OH-IOvaulter » Mon May 19, 2008 10:57 am

[quote="dj"]Top level athletes in any/every event will have similar “natural frequenciesâ€

-Sergei Bubka

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”