We are doomed. Repent and ask for forgiveness.

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.

Do you repent?

I do
68%
I don't
32%

Total votes: 71

Tim McMichael
PV Master
Expertise: Current college and private coach. Former elite vaulter.

Unread postby Tim McMichael » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:18 pm

I know I haven't been contributing for a while, (except for the Redneck posts which I somehow can't leave alone). I am afraid this will be taken as sour grapes for having lost my argument with Roman. The problem is that being wrong about something I have believed and has influenced my teaching for a very long time means that now I have to go back and reevaluate the whole process to find out what this means to my concept of the jump as a whole. I honestly don't have a lot to say until I get that done.

volteur
PV Pro

Unread postby volteur » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:08 pm

Tim McMichael wrote:I know I haven't been contributing for a while, (except for the Redneck posts which I somehow can't leave alone). I am afraid this will be taken as sour grapes for having lost my argument with Roman. The problem is that being wrong about something I have believed and has influenced my teaching for a very long time means that now I have to go back and reevaluate the whole process to find out what this means to my concept of the jump as a whole. I honestly don't have a lot to say until I get that done.

One of the most impressive things i have ever read. You are a strong man!

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:02 pm

If only all American coaches were so gracious...
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

Split
PV Master
Expertise: Former HS Vaulter, lifetime enthusiast
Lifetime Best: 11'0"
Favorite Vaulter: Giovanni Lanaro

Unread postby Split » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:47 am

My old pole vault coach used to make us to a one handed pole vault. As in, we would plant with just one hand. I think he was barely able to bend a small pole.
I never met a pole I didn't like.

baggettpv
PV Master

Learning is good!

Unread postby baggettpv » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:04 am

I wish I had a dollar for everytime I learned something that changed my belief system. With Andjei I would have made about $1000. In my profession of teaching? A millionaire...Tim, you just made a buck...

Rick Baggett
WSTC LLC
Good coaching is good teaching.

RPVA03
PV Fan
Expertise: Former High School and College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach

Unread postby RPVA03 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:30 am

agapit wrote:
fx wrote:I have a question. What is going on with the top arm at this time?

It is gripping simply gripping the pole until the center of gravity of the body passes the horde and than it adds to the acceleration of the rotation, but it does not pull until after complete inversion.

How does the right arm accelerate the swing exactly? It can't be a pull like when doing a pull up, can it? Can you go into some detail about this motion? Also, I really don't think you can move your competition pole into the pit with only your right arm on the pole. As you have said, your left arm pull accelerates the swing, which helps the pole move into the pit. Without that added energy that is provided by your left arm, you would be unable to move a competition pole into the pit, right? You could probably move a pole that is a little smaller into the pit without the left arm, because I know you can accelerate a swing all the way through the inversion with just your right arm on the pole.

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:09 am

THIS, I agree with. Someone prove us wrong.
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

golfdane
PV Pro

Unread postby golfdane » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:44 pm

RPVA03 wrote:
agapit wrote:
fx wrote:I have a question. What is going on with the top arm at this time?

It is gripping simply gripping the pole until the center of gravity of the body passes the horde and than it adds to the acceleration of the rotation, but it does not pull until after complete inversion.

How does the right arm accelerate the swing exactly?

It doesn't, but when the axis of rotation shifts from the top hand to the shoulder joint (when the body passes the chord of the pole), the "rotation" is accelerated (towards inversion). I think that is what Roman is referring to.

ECvaulter30
PV Nerd
Expertise: Current College Vaulter and Decathlete, Fan
Lifetime Best: 14'11.75
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Re: We are doomed. Repent and ask for forgiveness.

Unread postby ECvaulter30 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:48 am

this is going to be hard to describe over a post with out a video to accompany it but when i first started vaulting my pole carry involved holding on to the pole with just my right hand, letting the pole tip "drag" on the ground and run to the plant box. once i was roughly a step out from the box i extended my right arm up and would grab the pole with my left hand (left arm not locked and extended) and would manage to get a bend out of the pole.. this only worked to clear a max height of 10ft for me.
the only reason i bring this up is that in my mind it relates to agapits only right arm take off/vault, since the left arm comes in at such a late time and i was never instructed to lock out my left arm during the plant.
now i dont know if any other coaches out there have made their vaulters do this but, my coach has made a number of 1st year vaulters use this kind of carry and then of course when the time comes switch the the traditional carry/take off to the free take off.
speak softly and carry a big stick

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:13 am

ECvaulter30 wrote: this is going to be hard to describe over a post with out a video to accompany it but when i first started vaulting my pole carry involved holding on to the pole with just my right hand, letting the pole tip "drag" on the ground and run to the plant box. ...

Not really hard to describe at all ... we know exactly what you mean. Tye Harvey has jumped over 18' this way! This "Pole Pushing: Petrov Perfected" thread will be of interest to you ... http://www.polevaultpower.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=17257&p=125070&hilit=pushing#p125070

VaultPurple demonstrates this technique quite nicely! :yes:

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Sun May 01, 2011 10:01 pm

I just came across this post. I find it funny as ****, but I hope Im wrong about another 27 years...

Cheers!
there is no spoon... www.m640.com

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:18 pm

This is a hillarious post. I don't know what I was doing at 4:30am that morning. Five years and counting thou :(
there is no spoon... www.m640.com

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”