Ways Equipment Can Influence Technique

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:45 pm

spill21 wrote:yeah its at the back, maybe it was the pole I was using(it was longer than the pole I'm use to, but the box sucked, the pit was great though, a little hard but great

Just because the pole is longer does not mean you need to raise your grip, it sounds like maybe you weren't ready.

spill21
PV Nerd

Unread postby spill21 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:26 am

yeah your right I wasn't penetrating half as much as I needed to, to be safe either
J Spillman goes higher...

OH-IOvaulter
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former High School Vaulter, Former College Vaulter, Former High School Coach
Favorite Vaulter: Mondo Duplantis: 8yrs/9ft!!

Unread postby OH-IOvaulter » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:30 pm

I just wanted to thank Tim for talking about something that most people don't even consider. Even though the possibility is greater that the vaulter is different meet to meet, considering things such as box depth, especially with older pits, with regard to penetration is something that can be adjusted for. Thanks for the info and for starting a great thread. :yes:
What is nice about this sport is that I am responsible for most everything.
-Sergei Bubka

mooski33
PV Nerd

Unread postby mooski33 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:41 pm

so what are the legal demensions of the box? I'm helping coach at a high school and the runway is being resurfaced, but they aren't planning on putting a new box in--just raising the runway slightly. So although the size of the box isn't actually changing, it will be lower than previously because the runway will now be raised. Our head team coached asked the head PV coach if this was alright, and he gave him the OK. I want to address this with the coaching staff if it will affect the safety of the vaulters.
thanks
ml

superpipe
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, Club Coach, High School Coach, Parent
Favorite Vaulter: Who else, Bubka.

Unread postby superpipe » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:12 am

The top edges of the plant box must be at ground level ( runway surface ), not below, not above. Besides being obvious, it's a hard rule. See article 12 in the NFHS rule book here:

http://bsdweb.bsdvt.org/~pdvorak/vttfof ... page58.JPG

mooski33
PV Nerd

Unread postby mooski33 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:32 pm

Thanks for the info--I have fwded the information on to our head coach. He's usually very good about rules and safety, so I imagine he'll rethink the plan.
I think this really was a great topic to start--it really isn't something that all that many people think about! It definitely has made me more aware of the facilities (and hopefully our head coach too!).
Thanks!
"taste the happy, michael"

LHSvaulter
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former High School Vaulter, Current College Vaulter, Huge Fan!
Lifetime Best: 13-6
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby LHSvaulter » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:17 pm

Tim McMichael wrote:The most surreal moment was when a dove fluttered between Igor Potopovich wearing his red USSR uniform and Pat Manson wearing his red white and blue USA Team colors. Both reached up and caught the dove at the same instant as about fifty flash bulbs went off. Pat's teeth actually sparkled. The picture was on the front page of every newspaper in Athens the next morning. In some of them you could just see my legs sticking out from under one of the speakers where I was trying to rescue one of the poor dying doves. It was a symbolic moment for everyone involved, except, of course, the doves.

Does anyone know where I might be able to find a copy of this picture?

Tim McMichael
PV Master
Expertise: Current college and private coach. Former elite vaulter.

Unread postby Tim McMichael » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:31 am

Pat called me last week and said that he found that very picture while he was going through some old boxes. Maybe I can get him to post it.

LHSvaulter
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former High School Vaulter, Current College Vaulter, Huge Fan!
Lifetime Best: 13-6
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby LHSvaulter » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:47 pm

That would be amazing. I've been talking with him via email ever since the camp I went to at Disney's Wide World of Sports last August where he was the coach.
Provided I can save the funds after having to pay off an unmarked 2002 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor with 20,000 miles, I want to go to one of his camps out in Colorado.

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”