Oklahoma Pole Vault Manifesto

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
KYSEAMAN
PV Whiz
Expertise: College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 17'10.5
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud

Unread postby KYSEAMAN » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:38 pm

I was just re-reading this post...does anyone have any video of Dial when he was at his best??? and pictures or anything
Follow me on Twitter @PVSeaman
www.takogrip.com - The ONLY pole vault grip tape.
Knoxville, TN

Tim McMichael
PV Master
Expertise: Current college and private coach. Former elite vaulter.

Unread postby Tim McMichael » Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:51 pm

I'll dig something up. I think I may have one or two jumps from him at his best. They are on VHS, so the quality will be really bad, but I'll post 'em anyway.

Tim McMichael
PV Master

Unread postby Tim McMichael » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:21 pm

Here is the only video of Joe I have been able to find so far. It is not an especially good jump of his. He is way under and gets hammered at the takeoff. I am still going through some of my old videos, but I don't have very many. I am sure I will find something else. Sorry for the poor quality, but this is a rip from a very old VHS tape.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xeDI93A477g

If anyone else has some good footage of Joe, please post it.

Tim McMichael
PV Master

Unread postby Tim McMichael » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:46 pm

Here is a back view of a much better jump. It clearly shows the elements of this technique that I have discussed here. The trail leg is nearly parallel with the runway after he finishes driving. The left hand is pulled high above the right. A very long very fast swing loads energy into the pole. He catches up to its timing with a tuck that finishes just before the pole reaches maximum bend. This is followed by a balanced, explosive extension. The upper body is active all the way through till the fingers of the right hand come off of the pole. Quintessential Oklahoma drive vault.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=etPIyI1FKMI& ... ed&search=
Last edited by Tim McMichael on Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tim McMichael
PV Master

Unread postby Tim McMichael » Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:49 pm

I'm still finding old pictures. This one shows the advantages of the balanced and precise top end that the Dial model allows. Our push off was definitely not a passive move; we put a lot of pressure on the pole at the top of the jump, and we felt that it gave us about four more inches of height.

Vault is a clearance of 18' with a 15'4" grip and probably the highest jump of my life.

http://www.treemo.com/files/treemo.tmcm ... 385.or.jpg

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”