what different models are out there

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:08 pm

robillard wrote:ok just wondering, after reading parts of BTB on the btb website i was wondering were i could buy a full version of the book. is it available at barnes and noble by any chance.

You can only get it online: http://www.neovault.com/

robillard
PV Nerd

Unread postby robillard » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:20 pm

id prefer not to buy it online but i will if i have to.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:32 pm

"to take the Petrov model to world class heights. The ability to long jump is essential." Agree completely Tim - :when you are talking WORLD CLASS - but I have continually stated that mastery of some elements of the petrov model can help any athlete improve. So an athlete who is not a great long jumper can still achieve a free take off and so otptimise whatever running and jumping ability they do have and can still exploit the second and third stages of energy input - a la Lauren Eley on the aforementioned DVD.

Note that Isinbyeva does not have a world class take off at present - but exploits the succeeding stages well enough to produce good results. :idea: :yes:
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:11 am

Hey you goodolboycarolina21 - howyalldoin??

Markovs problem is that he overextends the left arm forward as he plants - this leads in turn to the problems he has in the whip/swing. The solution is to master the key position of the plant which occurs with the athlete upright on the penultimate stride and with the left knee parallel with the ground as it prepares for its clawstrike at take off. At this point the right hand should be just above the right side of the head and the left hand-with the left arm slightly flexed - should be at eye level. With the correct grip on the pole and the right hand in position -the left hand will automatically be in the correct position. If your grip is too wide then there will be problems. Take a look at the Bubka method again and see what i mean.

You practice this by doing a walking five stride drill - going through the plant movement BUT finishing locked into the position described and not moving thru into the TO position -repeat a few thousand times - then trot it a few thousand times and then finish off with the completion of the plant -then ditto and you know the rest. This is key element of an effective free take off. Hope this makes sense and helps. See y'all. :rose:

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:30 am

good morning

2 quick notes....

somewhere in these discussions we need to consider the pole and it's design.. for example it is my opinion that toby's "lead leg reach" is a product of the pole design. and that a slight drop/pump, like earl bell had was a tranfer/block movement.. even dave roberts had that drop/pump on his 18-6 world record and he was a classic knee drive vaulter...

2. compare tim mack's 5.90 '04 trials jump... there is nothing to show that is not superior to bubka's jumps.. except the speed at the take off.. every phase was superior...

later

dj
Come out of the back... Get your feet down... Plant big

Carolina21
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former Elite Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.59

Unread postby Carolina21 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:42 am

Alan,
Thanks for the info and analysis. I guess a few thousand walk plants never hurt anyone....
-Rise to the occasion
PR: 18' 4.0

polevaulter08nw
PV Master
Expertise: College Vaulter, Coach
Lifetime Best: 5.40
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillinie

Unread postby polevaulter08nw » Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:27 pm

dj wrote:good morning

2. compare tim mack's 5.90 '04 trials jump... there is nothing to show that is not superior to bubka's jumps.. except the speed at the take off.. every phase was superior...

later

dj

i wouldn't be so sure, i read something about this on how tim and tobys technigues implemented petrov model but i can't say superior, but i can agree with you about the take off speed not being quite as what it could of been. I love tim mack and he is an inspiration to me! But i think that comment might spark quite a big argument. Just thought i'd say something
PR: 5.40
Indiana University '13
University of North Carolina '12

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:41 pm

hey

the point was to have discussion... not argument

i think comparing is the best way to understand how the forces are applied..

one of the best jumps ever with a 16-4 grip compared to bubka's best...

dj
Come out of the back... Get your feet down... Plant big

polevaulter08nw
PV Master
Expertise: College Vaulter, Coach
Lifetime Best: 5.40
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillinie

Unread postby polevaulter08nw » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:06 pm

ok just wanted a warning i guess, and i thought it was a 16'2 hand grip.
PR: 5.40
Indiana University '13
University of North Carolina '12

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:30 am

Carolina21 wrote:Alan,
Thanks for the info and analysis. I guess a few thousand walk plants never hurt anyone....

I'm not sure where Bubba found this cartoon, but it seems apropos to this discussion. :P

- master

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:02 pm

To keep the discussion going I would suggest that one of the reasons that Tim gripped relatively low was that his technique -not his lack of speed - limited his ability to grip higher.

DJ I would love to see a detailed statement - ideally in energy terms -where you think Tims technique was superior to Sergei's.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:49 pm

You can get BTB from Paul Omi at pmomi@comcast.net Al

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”