Rythm Run (how I failed to teach it) Help

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
theczar
PV Follower
Expertise: Coach/Former College Athlete
Lifetime Best: 17'1"

Unread postby theczar » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:38 pm

I just wanted to mention that a rythmic run REALLY DOES HELP.

I used to just take off at full speed until today at practice. My coach said that my run was choppy and not accelerating, so he told me to elongate my first few steps and concentrate on that accelerating rythem. It was hard at first, but once I was able to get consistant I noticed a huge increase in power and speed. I was able to move up 3 poles more than I usually jumped on just because of the new run. Its still a little hard because I'm not quite used to it yet, but I know it increased my potential height by at lease 8-10 inches.

It does work! :yes:

just my two cents.... :D

rizlab
PV Fan

Unread postby rizlab » Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:03 pm

If you rhythm run, habits can form, as one can "remember" the same beat. If the consistancy in your run is not the same, ultimately you will plant late or too early and changing you're run won't help because every run up is different. I do rhythm running as you call it, and i've done it for so long, i can just plant without counting my steps or anything, i just know when to plant, because the sound pattern of my run is recognised by me. Now all that sounds really sciency and technical but its simple really.
when i vault high enough, to hit jesus... ill be happy.

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”