WORST Vault Article I think I have EVER SEEN

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
CLCPV04
PV Whiz

WORST Vault Article I think I have EVER SEEN

Unread postby CLCPV04 » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:27 pm

http://www.texastrack.com/pole_vaulting_article.htm

Nice Excerpts include:

"The objective is to bend the pole past 90 degrees (top of pole must be at least horizontal with the runway with both hands at least level with the runway while you are still on the ground.) The longer the pole the easier this becomes so don’t expect this too soon especially with short poles."

"The jumper must let the pole do most of the work, so bend it and let it throw you over the bar. The bigger the pole the more throw you will get at the top. The ideal position of the hands at your plant should have their front hand higher than their back hand. This can only be accomplished when they bend the pole over 90 degrees."

"[How does the vaulter bend the pole?]They simply keep the pole away from them as they run under the pole while planting. "

VTechVaulter
PV Lover
Expertise: Current Elite Vaulter, College Volunteer Coach, HUGE FAN

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:40 pm

no no they forgot a lot of the crucial parts

before you leave the ground, while the pole is bent past 90, pull down as hard as you can with your hands.

also because a big pole is the only way to get lots of throw, all of those old steal videos where people are pushing off 30+ inches with no bend must be fake. part of the kennedy conspiracy if im not mistaken. so i guess ill just go grab one of bubkas poles. which im allowed to cap because ive jumped above my hand, and damn watch me go

since he doesn't mention landing in the coaches box, just on the pit. so id like to put the standards at zero and drift left a bit to stay on the pit. that way i can turn up on like a 17' 250lb pole.

great article :(

For those of you who didn't pick up the sarcasm, disreguard all comments above.

Classic example of why people need to be certified to coach this event. First of all, how do you bend the pole past 90 with your foot still on the ground. Please please dont listen to this article for all you young vaulters out there. You wanna learn to pole vault, pick up sky sytems 4, or earl bells pole vault video. Or any of the videos out there put up by people who arent completely ignorant.
Brian Mondschein
Philadelphia Jumps Club, Coach and Co-Founder
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:57 pm

Haha - I needed a good laugh! I forgot all about that article. For further reference, check out the Texas Pole Vault Manifesto:

http://polevaultpower.com/forum/viewtop ... +manifesto
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

theczar
PV Follower
Expertise: Coach/Former College Athlete
Lifetime Best: 17'1"

Unread postby theczar » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:27 am

OMG....

someone is sereously going to die if the listen to that article!!!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:54 am

This is why Alan Launder criticizes U.S. pole vaulting so heavily. Articles like this.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:47 am

I saw this article two years ago I believe, and reported it to Steve Chappell - asked him to send it on to Bob Fraley to see if it could be removed because of the damage it could cause. I thought it had been removed so I am disappointed to see it revived.

RBG - I would be surprised if many US coaches believe the ideas put forward in this article! Unfortunately tho, many do not seem to understand the advantages of taking off with a straight - unloaded - pole a la Bubka, Tarasov, Markov and Feofanova for example.

:crying:
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

bvpv07
PV Great
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Derek Miles

Unread postby bvpv07 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:14 am

lonestar wrote:Haha - I needed a good laugh! I forgot all about that article. For further reference, check out the Texas Pole Vault Manifesto:

http://polevaultpower.com/forum/viewtop ... +manifesto

YES! That thread was the first thing that came to my mind when Becca told me about this article :P
Fly me to the moon
Let me play among the stars

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:18 am

The scary thing is that 95% of Texas high school coaches are worse than that.

Had a coach (a very, very well respected one) tell me one time that pole vaulting is like putting a penny on the end of a ruler. The more you bend the ruler the higher it'll shoot the penny. It's the same thing with the vault.

I just wondered how on earth he got a college degree.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:20 am

By the way, we didn't make up the Texas Pole Vault Manifesto. Those are all items we observed being taught by multiple coaches.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

JumpinSkiing
PV Nerd

Unread postby JumpinSkiing » Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:23 pm

My coach actually teaches us to pull on our top hand. He actually yells "PULL!" right after we get off the ground. You should always be on a pole the same as your weight, because it doesn't matter if you go on heavier poles. Also, going up in length is useless too. He has never mentioned anything about the plant or swing to me, or anyone.
Last edited by JumpinSkiing on Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SlickVT
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post-Collegiate Vaulter, College Coach, High School Coach

Unread postby SlickVT » Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:18 pm

WOW.
Vertical Technique Pole Vault Club
Blacksburg, Virginia
verticaltechnique.com

robillard
PV Nerd

Unread postby robillard » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:00 pm

wow i am really sorry for you JumpinSkiing. i especialy feelople down here in florida with no coach at all. ive actually woudnu p teaching kids how to plant and swing during a meet cause they were goin to hurt themselves. i mentioned this before in another thread but the worst ive seen is a guy jumping under a 7 ft bar let me repeat UNDER without touching the bar at all, he actually ducked a little to avoid knocking it off adn threw his pole away from him to keep from knocking the bar off. and its not like this happened once either. he repeatedly did this until he scratched out and the other kid from his team did the same exact thing except he hung on to the pole. my fear is that kids like this are going to read this article and kill themselves trying this stuff. we really need to make it a USATF rule that in order to vault you need to either be certified, like give them a test to make sure they know wat their doing, or have a coach that is certified or something or else a lot of people are going to get injured from stuff like this.

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”