Grip width???

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
Jered63
PV Newbie
Expertise: college sophomore vaulter
Lifetime Best: 16'2"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Sam kendricks

Grip width???

Unread postby Jered63 » Mon May 15, 2017 4:16 pm

Hello

I was just wondering if someone could enlighten me on the pros and cons of having a wide/narrow grip width. I've seen many elite vaulters have a pretty close grip and be successful and vice versa. What are the benefits?

Thank you!!!

seanbo98
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current Collegiate Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.35
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Re: Grip width???

Unread postby seanbo98 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:02 am

Figured I might as well give you the limited knowledge I have on this subject. A narrow grip (narrow for me meaning about one forearm width or so) generally is good for inverting and getting fully lined up especially for someone newer to the sport, it also lessens the chance of having a vaulter blocking with the front arm as opposed to clearing the pole up and forward it would be pushed solely forward. A wide grip on the other hand makes it easier to manage the pole during the run (you have more control due to the increased mechanical advantage based on pivot point) and plant. It also makes it possible to have more front arm action when pushing the pole up and towards the crossbar allowing greater penetration all things equal. For someone inexperienced in inverting the wide grip could make it more difficult to line up but really causes no issues for a more experienced vaulter. I personally saw great improvement in widening my grip, that along with a few other tweaks resulted in a 35+ centimeter PR throughout the course of the season. The only major vaulter in today's competitive situation I know of that uses a relatively narrow grip is Sam Kendricks. He does many things different compared to most other elite vaulters and as such should be treated as an anomaly I believe. Hope that helps.

Jered63
PV Newbie
Expertise: college sophomore vaulter
Lifetime Best: 16'2"
Favorite Vaulter: Sam kendricks

Re: Grip width???

Unread postby Jered63 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:20 am

Thank you for the reply seanbo98! I will definitely take that into consideration

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”