USC spirit pole question

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
hmsvaulter
PV Newbie
Lifetime Best: 13'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Sergei Bubka

USC spirit pole question

Unread postby hmsvaulter » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:32 pm

Hi my friend told me about this website and let me say i wish i knew about it earlier. But let me get to my question. So recently I vaulted on my first spirit pole (owned by the same friend) and immediately fell in love with the lightweight and consistent bend feel. His pole is a 13' 1.5" (4.00m) 155 lbs (unsure of flex #). The problem is that i blow through this pole from 4 lefts gripping at the top. My question would be with what pole should i get since if im running from 7 lefts where im going to have alot more speed and power vaulting. Personaly i was thinking either a 14' 1.5" (4.30m) or a 14' 7" (4.45m). Also im unsure about what weight i should get for both. Im 17, weigh 155, PR of 13', and am 5' 9" tall.

GasPasser
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former HS vaulter - now 55-59YO Masters vaulter, and part-time coach
Lifetime Best: 13'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Re: USC spirit pole question

Unread postby GasPasser » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:26 am

I can't give you advice based on what you said about trying your friends pole. Please tell us about the poles you have been jumping on before, especially the pole you PR'd with. Please provide pole make, length, wt rating, flex # (if known), grip height, and number of lefts for each pole you have recent experience.

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”