Analysis of Vault

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
Fritch5510
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13 feet
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Shawn Barber

Analysis of Vault

Unread postby Fritch5510 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:23 pm

Hey, so I've been doing the decathlon for 2 years now and pole vault is my favorite event. I come from a place where we don't have a pole vault coach, so my teammates and I film ourselves and try to improve from there. Right now, I'm jumping on a 170 14'6 pole, holding at 13'9" (I weigh 180, but our pole selection is very limited). Any suggestions on what I should work on the most? Just trying to learn and have fun! :)
Thank you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZHm085 ... e=youtu.be

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Re: Analysis of Vault

Unread postby powerplant42 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:11 am

Welcome to PVP!

It seems like your running behind yourself - get your feet more directly underneath the center of gravity, which is shifted forward because of the pole's weight. Otherwise you can get out of control, which will lead to a late plant (and it did in this case). The late plant leads to being under at take-off, killing swing speed and making it difficult to keep the trail leg straight.

I'd also recommend adopting a slightly narrower grip. Seems a bit wide.

In the future, if you're recording on a phone, turn it sideways - the eyes are sideways in the head, it makes it easier to watch! Also, vids like this go in the "Video Review" forum.

Good luck!

:yes:
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

grandevaulter
PV Pro
Expertise: Three year highschool vaulter 1978-80. Now coaching highschoolers and competing in masters.
Lifetime Best: 11'
Favorite Vaulter: Timothy Mack

Unread postby grandevaulter » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:59 pm

teammates and I film ourselves and try to improve from there

What in particular do you think you need to improve upon. What drills are you doing? do you have a technical model?

Fritch5510
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13 feet
Favorite Vaulter: Shawn Barber

Unread postby Fritch5510 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:09 pm

Thank you Powerplant, I will narrow my grip and try to work a lot on my runway and my sprinting technique and once it gets better I'll try to focus on the rest. Sorry for the bad video, I always try to film sideways, but my teammate filmed this one upright for some reason. And GrandVaulter, since I do the decathlon, I don't have much time to do drills specific for pole vault. I tried to go see at a Gymnastics Club to help with core strength and inversion, however they didn't have any sessions available or open gyms. All I do are high bar drills occasionally and vaults (Full jumps, stiff pole drills, trying to kick high bungees). I am aware that learning by vaulting alone is not the best way, but I don't have a coach to guide me through drills. I have access to the pit once a week on average. As for improvements, I would like to improve my runway, so that I can consistently take off tall with a straight top arm (I struggled with the top arm for a long time and still it's still not near perfect). I don't follow any technical models specifically.

Thank you for the replies.

PS. Sorry for posting this in the wrong forum :/ I didn't know there was a video review one

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”