Can't stop going to the left

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
ArcherPV98
PV Beginner
Expertise: high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13-1
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Sam Kendricks

Can't stop going to the left

Unread postby ArcherPV98 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:15 pm

Hey guys, I've had a problem about going to the left for awhile now. I'm trying to get rid of this problem for indoor season in a few months. Whenever I vault on a straight pole, I'm fine and land in the middle (or at least really close to it), but when I vault on a bendable pole, I go to the left a lot and sometimes can't finish my jump. My coach says its because I follow my left leg (right handed vaulter) but I'm not really sure what he means by that. Here is a video below. I'm on a 12-9 150 Altius carbon from 4 lefts holding 11-10 running from 40 feet. I'm open to all suggestions and critique.

https://splice.gopro.com/v?id=7pLEW7e10
It's not how high you hold, it's how high you jump!

ArcherPV98
PV Beginner

Re: Can't stop going to the left

Unread postby ArcherPV98 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:21 pm

Bungee is at 12 feet sagging to about 11-8 if anyone was interested

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:03 pm

Archer, I was at first thinking that your vid was excellent - taken from the right view for the issue that you're trying to figure out.

But unfortunately, it doesn't show your takeoff foot when you leave the ground. That might be revealing.

I do note that your trail leg is at what I would consider a weird angle (when it first appears from when it's hidden below the mat). But I think we'd have to compare that angle to the angles of other vaulters that don't drift sideways to know for sure. From a physics perspective, your trail leg is at that angle because that's what's needed to be "balanced" while hanging onto the pole and swinging below it.

I think I can safely say that the problem is in your takeoff. That's because - once you leave the ground - the arc of your swing is (more or less) pre-determined. So it is weird why your trail leg isn't aligned with the runway (but I could be wrong - see previous paragraph). In my way of thinking, you should be swinging directly forward, and the pole will move aside for you to continue swinging directly forward.

Are you perhaps thinking that you need to swing your trail leg *around* the pole? That might lead to the weird angle of your trail leg (just guessing).

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:52 pm

By "in your takeoff", what I mean is that your top hand isn't directly vertical above your takeoff foot. Therefore, it *must* be off to the left a tad too much.

If it was off to the right (typically due to a late plant, or not reaching up as high as you should), then you'd drift right. But since you're drifting left, you must be "over-planting" - reaching up too much to the left.

Maybe that's why your trail leg swing is angled?

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

ArcherPV98
PV Beginner

Unread postby ArcherPV98 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:06 pm

Hey Kirk,
Sorry I haven't responded yet, been really busy. I will try to get a video of both the front and the side to know for sure. Also after watching my video again recently, I'm starting to think that one reason why I'm going to the left and that my leg is at a weird angle is because my head goes off to the side before I jump. I know some people heads go to the side to balance their jump, but that is usually after they have already taken off. That might also be why I'm having trouble bracing. Would you recommend me practice on a short stiff pole to fix this or a short bendable pole?

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:41 pm

Looking again at your vid, I agree that your head is to the left of the pole on takeoff. And then your trail leg angles to the right (from your perspective, as the vaulter - not the vid viewer).

I would say with confidence that this is what's causing you to drift left. But what's the *root* cause? What's causing *that*? Not sure.

I wish I had some links to vids of some elites to compare with - from the same head-on camera view. Does anyone know of any?

I'm just not sure how much of this off-center head and trail leg is normal, and how much is the flaw you must fix.

I don't think a short stiff pole would be helpful to fix this. Why do you think it might?

What I would like to see is that you line everything up *perfectly* centered. Including your pole carry and pole drop. Your pole carry is off-center a bit, which might (or might not) be related to your takeoff being off-center. I'm not sure, but it's worth investigating.

The other thing that I would suggest is that you mark the center of the runway, at your takeoff line. Then try to hit that "X". Have someone catch that - don't try to do this yourself. But after first marking the center, have someone catch your step while you *don't* purposely try to hit the mark. Only try to hit the mark after you establish that you're *not* hitting it. Got it?

Kirk

ArcherPV98
PV Beginner

Unread postby ArcherPV98 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:44 am

Thanks Kirk I will look at my pole carry/droppage and have someone watch my takeoff. I will let you know soon if this helps and I start landing center.

GasPasser
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former HS vaulter - now 55-59YO Masters vaulter, and part-time coach
Lifetime Best: 13'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby GasPasser » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:27 pm

I'll take a stab....

In looking at your video, and trying my best with quick mouse clicks to go nearly frame-by-frame, I see you are pretty well lined up at the plant and keep it well lined up through the swing. However, when you get to the inversion, you spread your legs, and it looks like you are trying to get your lead leg behind the pole. I know some elites do this, including the current WR holder. But I don't think this is something you should be trying to emulate at this point in your PV development. I'm not saying you are trying to emulate that, but it just appears that way in the video. It could be possible you are not trying, and it's just happening.

So here's what I'm seeing, and what I think you should do to try and correct it - I think it will help you get to the middle of the pit.

Your legs are widely split after the swing while you are inverting. Try to keep them together more while you bring both feet together at the top of the pole. Also, while you are swinging to invert, bring the top hand (right hand in your case) to your right thigh before/while you extend in the inverted position. (it would be left-left for lefties)

Here's a picture of the position I'm suggesting. Photo credits to Bubba Sparks, Masters Vaulter, from his website. Well, for some reason, PVP won't let me attach a pic - so here's a link to his website. http://www.bubbapv.com/ Its about 2/3rds of the way down on the home page. The caption under the pic says: "Bubba on Essx Carbon - Age 54 - 5/17/08."

You should then keep the pole close to the body while you pull through. Try to keep top hand contact with you body as your top hand goes from your thigh to your midsection.

Let us know how this works for you.

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:52 pm

GasPasser, thanks for taking a stab at it.

While your analysis of Archer's swing and extension is *interesting*, it's not why he's drifting left.

There's a frame where his trail leg foot is aligned with the white line, to the right of the runway. So his foot has traveled from (presumably) the middle of the runway to the right side (while in the air). This travel of his foot is why he's then drifting to the left.

Nothing after that frame has anything to do with why he's drifting. From that frame, you can see that every subsequent frame (all the way to when he lands) he's drifting left.

In fact, I assert that nothing after his *takeoff* has anything to do with why he's drifting. His trail leg drifts right (before it passes the chord); and it drifts left after the chord. From a physics perspective, this is the only thing that makes sense. His landing spot is almost pre-determined by his takeoff spot (and where his top hand is on takeoff).

Kirk

ArcherPV98
PV Beginner

Unread postby ArcherPV98 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:27 pm

So my takeoff position is causing my trail leg to go out at an angle to the right, which is causing me to land left, correct? And if this is correct than how do I fix this?

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:48 pm

ArcherPV98 wrote:So my takeoff position is causing my trail leg to go out at an angle to the right, which is causing me to land left, correct? And if this is correct then how do I fix this?

That's my theory (yet to be proven).

You haven't yet told me if your foot is hitting the center of the runway or not. The other question is whether your top hand (on takeoff) is directly above your takeoff foot or not.

If you're not dead center, then what do you think the fix should be? :dazed:

Kirk

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”