Thoughts about my season/Off season training

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
lmshil
PV Beginner
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Steve Hooker

Thoughts about my season/Off season training

Unread postby lmshil » Fri May 27, 2016 6:56 pm

With my track season just ending not on the greatest note it has left me determined to train over the off season to come back strong. I cant change the past so im bettering my future. First I plan on taking a good couple week break from track and vaulting just to let my body recoup however still stay weight training. Once i get back to vaulting however is where i have a few problems. The poles i have available for me over the summer are a 13'9 160 altius, 14 165 skypole and a 15 160 skypole. I blow through on the altius even from a 5 step to the point that I cant use it effectivly. With the 165 skypole however i get great height however little penetration to the point where i would need my standards at like 10 to clear a bar (Gripping about 13'6 on both poles) and never have jumped on the 15 160. Once i get back to it how should I best myself for the future. I only have one year of track left and I really want to get 14-15 feet. Thanks.
Failure only makes you want success even more

GasPasser
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former HS vaulter - now 55-59YO Masters vaulter, and part-time coach
Lifetime Best: 13'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Re: Thoughts about my season/Off season training

Unread postby GasPasser » Fri May 27, 2016 7:42 pm

Is your PR on your profile current? If you are using those poles, and your PR is 11', you have a long way to go to 14-15'. I suspect that you have jumped higher if you are on blowing through the Altius 13'9"-160. Update your PR on your profile!

You need to get some coaching, and have poles to use - both can be accomplished by joining a club. I'll recommend the club outside of Philly - called Philly Jumps Club. They have great coaches, an indoor facility, and plenty of poles. It's a 1.5-hr drive from Baltimore. It is well worth your the drive, even if you only do it once a week, but I recommend you do it twice a week.

With dedication, hard work, and good coaching, you can reach your goals!

http://www.phillyjumpsclub.com/
https://www.facebook.com/PhillyJumpsClub

lmshil
PV Beginner
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13'
Favorite Vaulter: Steve Hooker

Re: Thoughts about my season/Off season training

Unread postby lmshil » Fri May 27, 2016 9:24 pm

Thanks for the reply 11' was from the beginning of the season and its currently 12'6 which also brings up a good issue of mine. In big invitationals pressure and being nervous always gets the best of me which ends up my form going to crap and me jumping tiny heights literally sitting over 10'6 11' bars. I actually would do good in non-important small meets where there is hardly any people and i can actually focus.
Failure only makes you want success even more

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”