Help getting to the push off.

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
spencershade
PV Beginner
Expertise: High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Help getting to the push off.

Unread postby spencershade » Tue May 03, 2016 8:51 pm

Hi guys. I'm a 13'6" jumper I weight 155 and I'm on a 14' 165 UCS. I have been asking a lot on how to get over my top handgrip and I'm having trouble. Kirk B (anyone who reads other posts will know him) provides me with really good info on the run and takeoff and it's gotten a lot better. My takeoff mark has been more consistent and I'm not taking off so late(not perfect but better). However I'm having trouble with getting to the "push off position". I know everything is built on the quality of the thing before it so that's the advice I'm asking for. I just don't understand what it is that I'm doing the that causes me to not go way up over the pole because I get so vertical and I pull. So I'm asking advice for:
1. Anything at and after takeoff to get my hips up and over my top handgrip.
2. I've heard from a decathlon coach that I don't bend the pole enough or as much as it should (T or F and why?)
3. Do I row? I can't figure out if I row or I my top arm just straightens when I drop my shoulders.

Here's the video: https://youtu.be/21CD0Jw2_QQ
I know I missed it but it was a good jump at my PR.
Thanks guys

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: Help getting to the push off.

Unread postby KirkB » Tue May 03, 2016 11:38 pm

spencershade wrote: My takeoff mark has been more consistent and I'm not taking off so late (not perfect but better).

Well, you are still under. Keep working on this. You will be able to improve your swing and inversion once you get a free takeoff (or at least less under).

spencershade wrote: I'm having trouble with getting to the "push off position". I know everything is built on the quality of the thing before it so that's the advice I'm asking for. I just don't understand what it is that I'm doing that causes me to not go way up over the pole because I get so vertical and I pull.

You are really close to getting a good swing and extension. Just remember that Rome wasn't built in a day. Keep working on your steps, plant, and takeoff. You need to JUMP on takeoff, but that's impossible if you're under and the pole jerks you off the ground.

spencershade wrote:1. Anything at and after takeoff to get my hips up and over my top handgrip.

Yes, I think there's one more thing I can tell you now. You're actually very, very close to getting fully inverted. It looks like you're just too anxious to extend up and over the bar. Instead, get the hips up just a bit more, and THEN extend more directly upwards (not towards the bar). You're landing OK in the coach's box to do this, but just barely. Maybe lower your grip by a fist and try this. You should land a bit further into the pit, and yes, the pole will bend a bit less. That's all OK - remember that it's technique first, and THEN grip and pole flex.

Once you have good technique, then you can always raise your grip and go to a stiffer pole. But the opposite is almost impossible - if you don't improve your technique, then raising your grip or going to a stiffer pole will be futile.

spencershade wrote:2. I've heard from a decathlon coach that I don't bend the pole enough or as much as it should (T or F and why?)

False. You're getting plenty of bend. That's not your problem. Some decathlon coaches don't know much about pole vault! :D

spencershade wrote:3. Do I row? I can't figure out if I row or if my top arm just straightens when I drop my shoulders.

Your top arm should always be straight - until you start extending (and it is). Maybe you mean your bottom arm? It's actually too straight. Try moving your bottom arm up a fist. This will make your pole carry a little harder, but it might improve your swing. As it is, your wide grip might be one thing that's causing you to row. (Yes, you're rowing. I always say that it's OK to row to recover from a bad swing. If you had a better swing, you wouldn't have to row.)

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

spencershade
PV Beginner
Expertise: High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby spencershade » Tue May 03, 2016 11:53 pm

Thanks Kirk I appreciate the help. I'll lower my grip by a handgrip and I'll move my bottom arm up a tad. I'm going to try and get completely vertical but with my takeoff it seems like no matter how much I move my steps back I stride to hit that 10'4" mark at takeoff and I don't know why. I'm really consistent with hitting the same mark which I guess is good if I could just make myself hit the 11' mark. Do you have any tips on how I can teach myself to get the free takeoff/correct takeoff mark?
One last thing is could you break down my swing and hip placement and tell me what is good and bad? Thanks again.

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Wed May 04, 2016 12:54 am

spencershade wrote: ... it seems like no matter how much I move my steps back I stride to hit that 10'4" mark at takeoff and I don't know why. I'm really consistent with hitting the same mark which I guess is good if I could just make myself hit the 11' mark. Do you have any tips on how I can teach myself to get the free takeoff/correct takeoff mark?

Purposely chop your last couple steps. But don't expect to be able to do this first time on the runway and over a bar. It takes time and practice. So practice this on the track, planting onto a towel, as other posters (GasPasser and others) have described in other recent posts (for other vaulters' vid analysis). This is a very common issue that's already been exhaustively documented on PVP - you're not alone.

spencershade wrote: One last thing is could you break down my swing and hip placement and tell me what is good and bad?

You're getting ahead of yourself again. Fix your takeoff first. I think I've already given you a couple hints about how to drop your shoulders and get your hips up - that should be enough for now. The main focus should still be on getting a better takeoff, and then a better swing. You'll get the swing once you get the takeoff.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Rhino
PV Pro

Unread postby Rhino » Wed May 04, 2016 2:09 pm

You are doing great, and you asked the right man for advice in Kirk B. One thing that I would add concerning why you can't keep from planting under: if you feel out, you are out (overstriding). I didn't learn until just before I got too old to vault that often I felt out, but my takeoff was too close. Like Dave Johnston has said, try shortening your run a foot or two and consciously quickening and shortening your last few strides. I am no coach, but I think this is a way to get your takeoff closer to free.

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”