Putting it all together

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
lmshil
PV Beginner
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Steve Hooker

Putting it all together

Unread postby lmshil » Tue May 03, 2016 6:36 pm

Recently I've been making very good strides when it comes to technique with my row and swing. However I'm having trouble putting them together in a single vault. For example ill vault and have an amazing swing but hardly any row and vise versa. Currently my PR is 11ft but teammates and my coach keep telling me that if i put both together ill be clearing 13'-14' feet. With county, regional, and state championships right around the corner i really want to put it all together for a huge PR and to place well/win at the championships. Thanks.

Im 5'10" 155ish pounds
Currently capping a 13'9" 160 Altius
PR is 11' (however been hitting 12'-12'6" in practice)
Failure only makes you want success even more

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: Putting it all together

Unread postby KirkB » Tue May 03, 2016 8:10 pm

lmshil wrote: ... I've been making very good strides when it comes to technique with my row and swing. However I'm having trouble putting them together in a single vault. For example i'll vault and have an amazing swing but hardly any row and vise versa. Currently my PR is 11ft but teammates and my coach keep telling me that if i put both together ill be clearing 13'-14' feet.

You should post a video so that we can see for ourselves whether you're rowing or not, and whether what you call rowing is good or bad.

What exactly do you mean by "row"? What are you trying to do by rowing? And why do you need to row if you have a good swing? :confused:

You also don't mention your run, plant, or takeoff, and these 3 are far more important than your swing.

And if you have a good run, plant, takeoff, and swing, then rowing's not important at all. It's not even necessary.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”