help dropping shoulders

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
kwantana
PV Beginner
Expertise: High school Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 12 feet
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Sam Bell

help dropping shoulders

Unread postby kwantana » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:55 pm

I'm currently having issues finishing at the top of my vault i swing up to my hands and start to drop my shoulders but they only ever get to where my hands are about at my waist then i flag out and its really limiting how high i could be im currently jumping a PR of 12 feet as a sophmore in high school but i know i have the potential to go much higher this year if i can just fix a few technical issues

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEb0COF ... e=youtu.be

heres a video
im on a 13 160 essx holding 12 feet
running from 5 lefts (60 feet for me)
and the bungee was at 15 feet (for our other two senior vaulters)
5'5" 143lbs
"Put some swing on it"

Tincup1215
PV Fan
Expertise: Former High School Vaulter, Former College Coach, High School Coach

Re: help dropping shoulders

Unread postby Tincup1215 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:13 pm

If you improve your take-off and plant, you'll have enough speed and power through the rest of the swing in order for your shoulders to drop back naturally. You can see it in your drive knee/thigh right away, it drops down instead of leading. Staying tall on the plant with a better take-off will improve the rest of the vault quickly.

The other thought on your take off is, it appears to be very heel/toe. It's hard to tell because I can't slow the video down, but it looks like your running into your plant and take-off, with no drive UP on the pole with your hands and body.

kwantana
PV Beginner
Expertise: High school Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 12 feet
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Sam Bell

Re: help dropping shoulders

Unread postby kwantana » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:48 pm

Thank you! that makes a alot of sense and youre exactly right i have a problem with jumping off the ground i just had no idea that would translate to not being able to drop my shoulders thank you for your reply
"Put some swing on it"

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”