15 foot vaulter needing serious technical help

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
vaulter33
PV Newbie
Expertise: College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 15'3
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud

15 foot vaulter needing serious technical help

Unread postby vaulter33 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:13 pm

Hello I am a senior trying to get to my goal of 16 this season and want to try to get my technique as best I can before the end of the season. I've been jumping for several years we really don't have a coach where I live, just kinda jump. Anyways, I am 5'7 155 I run an 11.3 hundred and have cleared 15'3 on a 15 carbon 175. I have had a problem consistently being under for a long time and would like advice on how to fix that. Currently on my 15s im supposed to be at 12 and im around 11. Also I have crazy legs. My drive knee can't catch up with my trail leg until I am turning.i would really like to get some of this lined out in the future. Any advice is appreciated, I will try to get some videos of my run with my vault and upload tommorrow.
Thank you in advance
Here are some videos of my 5L on a 14'9 160. Bungee at 15 holding 13'10.
I will have some 7 lefts on Friday.
https://youtu.be/JfIvu1ahRUk
https://youtu.be/Y25eKi9uXOM

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: 15 foot vaulter needing serious technical help

Unread postby KirkB » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:14 am

I can't help you much, since you're so far under. But if you want a quick fix, don't hold your trail leg down so long before you swing it. In fact, don't delay at all - swing IMMEDIATELY (as soon as you possibly can). I wouldn't worry about your drive knee - it's not a problem.

To fix your "under" takeoff, there's many, many threads on PVP that can help you. But your first step needs to be truly committed to getting a free takeoff (or at least less under). Since you've had this flaw for so long, I'm not so sure that you're fully committed to fixing this flaw. Also, it will take quite a bit of time and focus, and without a brick-and-mortar coach, it will be tough.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”